Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 toyota rav4 2.4L limited and mine uses a good amount of oil and I had read on here one time a product that I could add that will clean my pistons. Can anyone tell me the names of some of the products

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,100 Posts
That really wouldn't serve any purpose. Defective piston rings are the cause of the oil usage. Cleaning won't make them seal any better and could possibly make it worse.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Remember there is the oil consumption service campaign on the 2.4. How much oil does it use in 1000 km or 1000 miles? Worth a chat with the dealer - doesn't cost anything to ask questions (YET!)

·
Super Moderator
11,100 Posts
Oh wow I did not know that..thanks for telling me that

06-08 2.4l engines in all models suffered from this, not one of Toyota's best moments. Listen to Foryota and check with your dealer to see if it can be remedied or not. If so, it's free.......for the most part. There are other parts that makes sense to replace as long as they have it torn down. Toyota won't pay for those (if your's is even eligible) but you'd be crazy not to check with them.

Reactions: Foryota

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My rav4 is not eligible unfortunately. I have to many miles I guess

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
My rav4 is not eligible unfortunately. I have to many miles I guess
Actually, you are out of time, not miles. Toyota extended warranty for the oil burners for 10 years from first date in service.

Ahh that's rough, I'm sorry. How many miles do you have on it?

My old Corolla had this issue so I've been there.
What year Corolla? The Extended Warranty covered the Camry, for the years they had the 2.4L 4-cyl. There were several models and years involved, could have some Corollas.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've only owned my rav4 for a little over a year now and when I bought it there was 189,000 miles on it

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Marieg25 if your engine is using a good amount of oil then the risk is high of an engine failure. That will cost over $3000 to replace. If I was in your shoes I would look for another vehicle that is more reliable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts