Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The engine in my 2007 RAV4 has been having a loud rattle sound at start-up. It only occurs sometimes and will not repeat if I turn off and on the engine. I've explained it to the dealer but they can't give me any explanations. I plan to take this video I recorded of a time it actually occurred to see what they say.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this?:shrug:

Here is a link to the video-->

2007 Toyota RAV4.mp4 - YouTube

· Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,518 Posts
It sounds like the starter gear (what they used to call the Bendix) is not disengaging from the flywheel properly. Same thing happened on my Mom's Maxima. Hers began doing it more often until finally it failed completely. A new starter motor fixed it.

· Super Moderator
12,909 Posts
I agree with Junebug, starter not disengaging. They are cheaper than removing the engine and replacing the ring gear that's also getting :eek: chewed up!

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<I posted this in another thread with the same type of issue with the grinding at startup.>

So I went in to the Toyota service center today and they said it was "probably" the VVT-i camshaft issue that they gave me an estimate of $6000 to repair.
I currently have 68,000 miles and I'm right out of the 60,000 mile warranty for this so I would have to pay for it. They said they wouldn't repair it until they kept the car a few days to duplicate the sound and verify it is the camshafts since it is such a big job.

I'm going to call Toyota and see if I whine enough they may cover it but we shall see. I was thinking my other option is to try to get it fixed for much less at a local mom&pop toyota specialty repair shop.

Anyone have other advice?

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Want to trade up this car for something else non RAV4

Well, I am seriously thinking about trading in my RAV for something else in its class. Toyota has said they will not cover the cost of the repairs and I'm stuck having to pay thousands of dollars to have it repaired. I'm in a good window right now to get a good tradein value for it. I feel pretty sad that I would have to do this but it seems like it may be the best thing to do. I really love my RAV but don't want to continue to have problems with it. In the 5 yrs time I have had it the oil hose burst (covered under a recall), water pump went out (another common issue not covered by Toyota) and now the camshaft sprockets (known to Toyota under TSB but I'm right out of the mileage they will cover it for). What the heck is going on??! My prior vehicle, a 1997 RAV4 didn't seem to have this many problems.
Could I have just gotten a lemon?

· Registered
20 Posts
hello Lucidity, I own the earlier Ravs 99'+04' but, that $6,000 estimate is rediculous, you could buy a used engine and have it installed for a lot cheaper, there are engines out there, I was at the local junkyard the otherday, they had a couple 06's and 07's, of course I didnt check them out as I was looking for a roof rack for my 99, check into a replacement engine before you drop $6,000 on a vvti issue.
Wish you luck with the repair
peace

· Registered
19 Posts
6 grand????? We do them for alot less at my dealer. Just an FYI, we see the same issue on the 1.8 Corollas and Matrixs. You will want to get it repaired soon, we had a 6 cylinder Highlander owner that ignored this noise. The gear actually seperated from the Camshaft. We had to pull the front cover to inspect everything, replace the cam gear, all the chains and the tensioners. Unfortunately, to do that, the engine had to come out. And even that cost the customer alot less than 6 grand. So I would be going to another dealer to get that noise looked at. Also, keep going higher and higher at Toyota, this customer was 50,000km over warranty and Toyota Canada covered about 20-30%, I cant remember exactly how much off the top of my head.

· Banned
2,666 Posts
I personally have a huge problem with toyota not fixing design flaws after warranty expires. My warranty expired at low miles due to time and likely I will see these or similar issues.

· Registered
1,241 Posts
Is there a TSB for this problem? That should be enough evidence to prove that this is a known flaw and provide a little pressure on Toyota with. Go to your local Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR), if they have something like that in Texas, and lodge a complaint. Shops hate that.

· Registered
19 Posts
I personally have a huge problem with toyota not fixing design flaws after warranty expires. My warranty expired at low miles due to time and likely I will see these or similar issues.
So how long would you like Toyota to cover your car? 5 years? 10 years? Forever? ALL manufacturers have warranty periods for a reason. Nothing can be garunteed to last forever, after a certain period of time, it HAS to become the responsibility of the owner.

· Banned
2,666 Posts
So how long would you like Toyota to cover your car? 5 years? 10 years? Forever? ALL manufacturers have warranty periods for a reason. Nothing can be garunteed to last forever, after a certain period of time, it HAS to become the responsibility of the owner.
We are not talking about the usual wear and tear. We are talking about design or factory screwups!

· Registered
19 Posts
If this was a known flaw when it was released, then it would have been recalled, but it has just surfaced recently. Once in a while we see a warranty extension on repairs, but in the end, its Toyotas decision if they want to goodwill repairs. It sucks that some people need repairs like this, but if its out of warranty, then it should be their responsibilty.

· Registered
9,937 Posts
At least Hyundai in the U.S. has a 10-year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty for new vehicles. I had an Elantra and that warranty was useful in having the few problems I had taken care of at no cost to me and with no quibbles from the maker or the dealer which took care of the problems.

· Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2007 RAV-4 with a V6 motor, and approx. 88,000 miles. I recently experienced the same intermittent rattling sound at start-up as you describe. I was told from an independent Toyota repair shop to try using a heavier weight oil, and that the noise that I was hearing was actually coming from the timing chain. I switched to a 10W30 weight oil (from 5W20 recommended by the owner's manual) and the noise went away within a few days. It has not come back and it's been three weeks.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

· Registered
293 Posts
mine does the same thing. appears it was the bearing in the water pump causing it all. it is being replaced as we speak. i might add it has been doing it for 30000ks. it sounds like tappett rattle.

· Banned
2,666 Posts
I have a 2007 RAV-4 with a V6 motor, and approx. 88,000 miles. I recently experienced the same intermittent rattling sound at start-up as you describe. I was told from an independent Toyota repair shop to try using a heavier weight oil, and that the noise that I was hearing was actually coming from the timing chain. I switched to a 10W30 weight oil (from 5W20 recommended by the owner's manual) and the noise went away within a few days. It has not come back and it's been three weeks.
For the record, 5W20 was never approved in RAV4 V6. Reread your manual.

· Registered
295 Posts
Update?

I would suggest to OP, if it's not too late, try the regional Customer Service person. If the problem is listed in a TSB, then there is obviously a design flaw - you aren't significantly outside the limit, and they need the goodwill.

· Registered
5 Posts
I purchased a 2009 certified RAV4 Base model 4WD with 4 cylinder engine. It too, has a noisy sound at start. It sounds like valves. The salesperson, while taking me out for the test drive, mentioned it himself as being the timing chain. He said that engines using timing chains produce more engine noise than those with timing belts. It makes sense but would also like some feedback to know if this is normal?

Upon start up, it only lasts for a few seconds & then it's gone. The engine on my 1999 Honda CRV is quieter that this one.

One thing that concerns me is that, according to the carfax report, it was owned by a car fleet company used to provide transportation for company employees.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts