Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Engine rattle during cold start-up (sometimes)--???

28318 Views 28 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  mike1793
The engine in my 2007 RAV4 has been having a loud rattle sound at start-up. It only occurs sometimes and will not repeat if I turn off and on the engine. I've explained it to the dealer but they can't give me any explanations. I plan to take this video I recorded of a time it actually occurred to see what they say.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this?:shrug:

Here is a link to the video-->

2007 Toyota RAV4.mp4 - YouTube
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
My 2007 V6 has the same noise. It has been making this noise intermittently for about 30K miles. I will try 10W30 first then I will consider looking at the cam gears. If Toyota has the parts, can the public get them? I have rebuilt engines before and could probably do this job myself.

· Registered
2011 Rav-4 4WD 4 cyl.
11 Posts
So how long would you like Toyota to cover your car? 5 years? 10 years? Forever? ALL manufacturers have warranty periods for a reason. Nothing can be garunteed to last forever, after a certain period of time, it HAS to become the responsibility of the owner.
This is a design flaw in the VVTI engine. I am just realizing this now after buying a used RAV4. Been learning a lot about this and another design flaw with the transmission when the overdrive kicks in. I get this shudder at 40-50 mph and when between 1600-2000 rpm.

· Registered
5 Posts
This is a design flaw in the VVTI engine. I am just realizing this now after buying a used RAV4. Been learning a lot about this and another design flaw with the transmission when the overdrive kicks in. I get this shudder at 40-50 mph and when between 1600-2000 rpm.
Hey I fixed the tranny shudder temporarily by changing some of the tranny oil. I probably only got 3-4 quarts changed in the time I had but it was enough to get rid of the shudder. I noticed the other day that it might be returning. Probably put 10k on it since.. I also have the start up clatter! Especially nice is the charcoal canister test failure which disables all-wheel-drive, cruise, traction control in the winter time only it seems! I have a 2011 Toyota RAV4 with the 2.5l engine, 135k miles.

· Registered
2011 Rav-4 4WD 4 cyl.
11 Posts
My shudder came back after I changed the trans fluid. A tech was saying I should also change the transfer case, rear diff and any other fluids. May help with the noise, but I'm convinced its a faulty torque converter that will eventually need replacing.

· Registered
5 Posts
It very well could be the torque convertor clutch going. I think the last time I got the shudder, the transmission was actually only in 2nd or 3rd but going up a steep incline, less than 30 mph.. So it appears it is not just happening when going into OD. It might also have been just the engine lugging at very low rpms?

Big 4 bangers are throwing a lot of weight around and the way companies are trying to save fuel / emissions by allowing the transmission to stay in a higher gear longer, vibrations are common. I also have a Prius C that always feels like its ready to toss a CV shaft at 35-50 mph on light throttle because the engine drops waaay down in rpms as the CVT tranny adjusts for low power at higher speeds.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts