Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving home tonight my daughters car started rattling and sputtering, she got it home, started it up and it litterally sounds like something is loose rattling around.

After a minute of idling and a light rev it dies, trying to restart all it does is crank. Looking around the car it looks like a puddle of anti-freeze beneath it :cry:

So anyone have an idea where to start? It seems to have enough water so I'm not 100% sure it's from her car (appartment living) but I didn't check to see if the oil was frothy.

She said it was fine driving this morning but on the way home it started on a small incline.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Depending on the sound and where the sound is coming from can be a determining factor....
When you say it started on an incline, was she losing power , like the car seemed restricted?? If so it could be possible that the catalytic converter is clogged causing restriction in the exhaust flow and may cause those symptoms you are describing...

Another thing to look at is check the oil level, low oil level can cause some other sounds due to lack of lubrication, and could be a more serious issue...

Also like Peter said, is the check engine light on?

Let us know what you find out...

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Re: Engine rattling/sputtering ... now it doesn't start

tekoah137 said:
Looking around the car it looks like a puddle of anti-freeze beneath it :cry:
Another thing, do you know if the car was overheating ? and also is there or was there any coolant puddles inside the engine bay ? i'm not sure of the sound cause by water pump failure, but you may want to look around for any coolant leaks, etc...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Re: Engine rattling/sputtering ... now it doesn't start

tekoah137 said:
Driving home tonight my daughters car started rattling and sputtering, she got it home, started it up and it litterally sounds like something is loose rattling around.
This sounds horribly like a failed water pump to me as what you describe sounds exactly like what happened to me last month - and it cost me a replacement engine!! I'd strongly recommend not running the engine any more until it's been checked out.

Regards,

- Paul

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies ... check engine light is on and she said that it wasn't losing power when it was making all the noise. It's been freezing cold here in Memphis and her drive is pretty short so I don't think it could have overheated.

The car has plenty of oil and I'm not 100% sure the coolent underneath the car is from her's or not since she parks in a different spot all the time.

I'm getting it towed in this morning since after starting it up last night it won't even restart. I'll keep y'all posted, thanks!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it ended up being the timing belt so it must have been pretty tore up to make that kind of rattling noise!

I appreciate the help y'all provided!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts