Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I'm new here sorry if I post in the wrong section not sure where to put this.

Recently I failed my oil consumption test on my 07 2.0L 4 cylinder rav4 and Toyota is having a recall to rebuild the lower engine free of charge. The dealership offered to include an optional upper engine rebuild including valve and valve seal, fuel injector and throttle body cleaning and spark plug replacement at a discounted rate for a total of $855 +/- taxes. My car has been burning more oil than usual so I want to do the lower engine rebuild but I'm not sure if the other three optional repairs are necessary. Does anyone here have experience with these repairs and if they are necessary? How do these repairs translate into driving experience and car life span? Sorry for the long post!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Hi all I'm new here sorry if I post in the wrong section not sure where to put this.

Recently I failed my oil consumption test on my 07 2.0L 4 cylinder rav4 and Toyota is having a recall to rebuild the lower engine free of charge. The dealership offered to include an optional upper engine rebuild including valve and valve seal, fuel injector and throttle body cleaning and spark plug replacement at a discounted rate for a total of $855 +/- taxes. My car has been burning more oil than usual so I want to do the lower engine rebuild but I'm not sure if the other three optional repairs are necessary. Does anyone here have experience with these repairs and if they are necessary? How do these repairs translate into driving experience and car life span? Sorry for the long post!
As rav4system says, there's tons of threads on here over this issue. Just search for it. The basic thing is: how was it running (other than the oil burning) before this? If it was running fine then perhaps the additional work isn't needed. The only thing I would certainly do is change the spark plugs as they could be fouled by the oil burning.

·
Super Moderator
11,113 Posts
There's a HUGE difference here.....the 2.0l engine is mentioned NOT the 2.4 which is in North America.

I would suggest this.....If you plan on keeping the car for a number of years and can afford the entire rebuild then go for it. If you plan on selling or trading it in short order then pass on the upper rebuild.

Reactions: ravenuer

·
Registered
4 Posts
2006 Basic RAV4 (4WD) - 86k approx

At the time of recall work, I asked them to put new serpentine belt (about 100 USD parts - no labor)

When I asked them to check water pump, they told me it was leaking (only after I asked them on the second day car was in shop). They replaced it for $160 but when I picked up I saw a labor charge of about 100 USD. They claim that iwas for the work they had to do which they would not had to do if water pump was not replaced.
does that make sense or they are trying to weasel out 100 USD?

They did not change spark plugs (told me to wait until 120k service) Shouldnt they have?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,732 Posts
2006 Basic RAV4 (4WD) - 86k approx

At the time of recall work, I asked them to put new serpentine belt (about 100 USD parts - no labor)

When I asked them to check water pump, they told me it was leaking (only after I asked them on the second day car was in shop). They replaced it for $160 but when I picked up I saw a labor charge of about 100 USD. They claim that iwas for the work they had to do which they would not had to do if water pump was not replaced.
does that make sense or they are trying to weasel out 100 USD?

They did not change spark plugs (told me to wait until 120k service) Shouldnt they have?
One year ago, I had my water pump replaced. If it had not been under extended warranty, the dealer would have charged me $483.90 for parts and labor. If you only had to pay $260, I wouldn't complain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you for your response, Junebug.

Of courese labor would be higher if they have to do this water pump work in normal situation starting from scratch.

However, impression I got from posts here was that there will not be any labor to do drive belt and water pump as preventive maint. when engine pistons are being changed as part of oil consumption recall.

So, I was surprised at $100 being charged for labor. (was expecting cost of parts only similar to drive belt)

Question to the experts here was: is there really extra labor involved or was I taken for a ride.

·
Super Moderator
11,113 Posts
Seems like this is another one post wonder..............

·
Registered
126 Posts
Depends if the water pump has to be removed when doing the piston work. If water pump didn't have to be removed, then I could see why they charged you for labor.

It would have been nice if they told you up front about the $100 instead of later. I lose confidence in shops when they spring surprises on you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts