Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,

Well, it looks like our new to us, used Rav4 is going to need an engine replacement. It had been experiencing some trouble recently and while I was out of town over the weekend, my teen took it out on the highway and blew the engine.

My mechanic is quoting me $3527 to install a used engine with a 12 month, 12,000 mile warranty. That number is about twice what I'd hoped. Is it reasonable? A rebuilt engine is double that, and completely out of the question.

The real kicker is that this vehicle was intended to take her to college halfway across the country next Friday. They can get it done in time, and they have always done good work for me in the past. I don't have the time, facilities or skills to do this large of a job myself.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Adam

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
So I guess the oil control valve you replaced wasn't the problem? Sounds like whoever you bought this thing from was looking to unload their problem child. If only you had bought an '09...

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
A used engine that has the high oil consumption problem may give you another $3527 bill down the road so I would not risk it since you are gambling with your luck. The 06-08 engine vehicle should be avoided. Check with an engine re-builder and see what they cost and decide.

Not knowing anything on your profile the year, mileage and condition you may consider selling it to reduce getting more problems.

You can't trust any car maker to be reliable even a Toyota. Things have changed in the quality department over the years so do more research for your next vehicle to reduce your chance of getting another lemon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, the oil control valve was likely not the problem. I'll be having my mechanic do a little more autopsy to try to get some more info as to the cause. He said that there was only 2 quarts of oil in it when they got it. When I left earlier that day, it was full, so whatever was sucking out the oil did it in a hurry.

We got it at an auction with a great price, though not enough to make up for this. Our extended family has gotten a lot of vehicles through this auction and have NEVER had a problem. So perhaps we're due for trouble, or this is an unfortunate outlier. Either way, it's disappointing, and expensive.

Most upsetting is that the teen was told to only drive it a minimum amount, and not on the highway at all. She then went out of her way to go longer distances and on the highway. Perhaps whatever caused the catastrophic failure would have happened regardless, but I have my doubts. My plan had been to replace the sending unit and if it didn't resolve the light, I would have taken it to the mechanic. I wonder what my out of pocket would have been without the unnecessary highway miles.

Not a happy day.

Adam

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
If my teen had disobeyed instructions and because of that blown an engine she would be working a lot of hours at McDonalds or babysitting or other legitimate occupation to pay the repair/replacement cost. :frown

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Sounds like that engine was a ticking time bomb. Just driving on the highway should not have damaged it unless something was already petty well ready to let go. I've heard some of Toyota's engines were susceptible to excessive sludging, particularly if one was "casual" about oil change intervals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All of this makes sense to me, thanks folks. I appreciate the thoughts.

She'll certainly have to take on some of the replacement cost. We're going to have to determine what's an appropriate amount. I'm trying to figure out what the repair cost would have been had she not taken it out on the highway for an unnecessary trip. I'm investigating the oil issues this year is known for and what it cost to fix them.

Sometimes bad things happen and despite our best efforts we aren't prepared to handle them and need help. I've certainly been in that position myself. However this seems to me to be a much larger issue than it could have been had she followed instructions.

Teachable Moment.

Thanks,
Adam

·
Super Moderator
11,102 Posts
Although she disobeyed that didn't have squat to do with the engine going kaput. Let's see here......she was going halfway across the country in a week but one minor trip on the highway blew it up?? No way.

Your heart is in the right place but you bought a turd, face up to it. As mentioned above a replacement used engine will suffer the same problems and could end up the same way. Your choices are find one that can be properly rebuilt or chuck the whole thing and lick your wounds.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Although she disobeyed that didn't have squat to do with the engine going kaput. Let's see here......she was going halfway across the country in a week but one minor trip on the highway blew it up?? No way.
Agreed with RTexasF and that your daughter did you a favour. Had the engine blew up thousands of miles away on a long trip it would have been worse and cause more headaches.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had a 2007 rav 4 with the problem Eng. It used oil, but not enough for warranty to fix it. I received a notice with a sticker to apply in the maintenance book that extended the warrant to 10 yrs and 150,000 miles. I don't know what your serial numbers are to check if this eng was a problem, or how many miles you have on it. If you have already checked this, then disregard this post !!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Crazy how devastating this engine can be, I have read a lot of posts on it over a lot of different Toyota products. And it was used across so many vehicles I can't believe this oil consumption issue wasn't spotted say by two years into production, instead Toyota just kept on using it and using it for a few more years in Corolla's, Camry's, Rav4, Scions..

Sorry Faramir66103 you had to deal with it, I agree with some of the others here that it probably would have broken down at some point anyway but her breaking your rules probably just accelerated the issue to a quicker breaking point. Better in your control than when it's across country and out of your control, she may have done you a favor in this case. Having dealt with the 2AZ-FE engine issues first hand in my last car I eventually took a big loss to trade it in to a dealer for my V6 Rav which has been night and day better. I would that you can have your auto insurance total out the Rav and use those funds for an entirely different vehicle.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts

Your heart is in the right place but you bought a turd, face up to it. As mentioned above a replacement used engine will suffer the same problems and could end up the same way. Your choices are find one that can be properly rebuilt or chuck the whole thing and lick your wounds.

The OP mentioned previously that his mechanic was supposed to do some more diagnostics on the vehicle, but the daughter drove the vehicle on the highway despite instructions not to do so, and before the mechanic was able to check out the problem more completely. That check may have prevented the engine being blown and a less pricey repair may have resolved the problem. In my book, still guilty as charged . . .

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
On your other posts about the oil sending unit problem you thought you had, you said you learned about the 'excess oil consumption' problem with your car and you would 'dig into it' to find out more. So what did you learn? How many miles does your 08 have and when was the first date in service? If under 10 years in service and less than 150K-miles, you might actually have a claim to fix it. Remote chance, but worth a call to Toyota since you were obviously duped into buying this car with a known problem.

Once they know about it, people with the oil burning problem should investigate every avenue, including getting the free Toyota test done--which is still available for those under 10 years / 150k miles. Otherwise, they need to check the oil level at every fuel stop and keep adding oil as needed. This should be done for any of the 2006-2008 4-cylinder RAVs. And personally, I wouldn't replace this engine unless the mechanic was well-schooled in the piston ring problem and could confirm it had the new parts properly installed.

·
Super Moderator
11,102 Posts
The OP mentioned previously that his mechanic was supposed to do some more diagnostics on the vehicle, but the daughter drove the vehicle on the highway despite instructions not to do so, and before the mechanic was able to check out the problem more completely. That check may have prevented the engine being blown and a less pricey repair may have resolved the problem. In my book, still guilty as charged . . .
Perhaps so, there are certainly more facts yet to be revealed. My Point is that you pay for a complete checkout on a used vehicle PRIOR to purchasing it. Guilty as charged for not obeying but with 2 quarts oil in the engine the failure was inevitable highway or not.

Regardless it is indeed a shame and certainly money wasted. Now with no car at all the situation is even worse for parents trying to do the right thing for their offspring. I'm sorry to hear of it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My mechanic is quoting me $3527 to install a used engine with a 12 month, 12,000 mile warranty. That number is about twice what I'd hoped. Is it reasonable?
Yes....IMHO it is. - engine + install. Look on car-part.com for used engine prices. I don't see your location...some areas of the country are 'pricier' than others for repairs.

I'd ensure your tune-up items, water pump, coolant/T-stat, etc. are all new so you don't need to touch the engine, except for oil changes....for a few years.

If you got a 'good' price @ auction, I'd fix it and drive it. You may have more than 'retail/dealer' $$ into it, but @ least you know the engine status. Any other used vehicle you're starting all over -again.

Watch the oil consumption for the first few tanks and go from there.

GL,
Td

p.s. I assume the 'teen' knows basic maintenance....if not, get 'em under the car @ the next OCI. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts