Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We put a new used engine in my daughters RAV... it turned over fine when we put the timing belt on (although the apprentice was doing that job), we bolted on the transmission then once we bolted the engine in place it doesn't want to turn over. It struggled a couple times now seized. Cams turn fine... wondering if there is any difference putting an engine that was an automatic with a manual transmission... anything that is different?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More info needed. This RAV4 an automatic?

But ... first mistake ... putting in a used engine. If you still have the original, don't let it go. Rebuilding it was and may still be the best option unless it threw a rod, etc., IMHO.
Other than the big whole in the block. :laugh

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,044 Posts
Need more info, what year, model, manual or automatic tranny, 4x4 or not is the RAV4? What is the engine type? Is it still a 3SFE and what year is the engine?

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,044 Posts
If it is fully locked up, you may not have the starter motor aligned properly and it is binding up.

Check the crankshaft position sensor, she won't start at all if it is not working, isn't in the proper position, or isn't working properly it will not do anything but turn over. The other issue could be with the crank shaft sensor is that you may have installed the crank pulley backwards, it happens.

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Was the transmission bolted up when you did the timing belt and it wasn't seized?

I assume the tranny was good because you only replaced the engine.

If it seized after tranny installation then you probably used the wrong bolts or in some way installed the tranny wrong. If you bolted it up and it wasn't aligned properly it can bind, if the bolts are too long going through the torque converter to the flex plate or installed improperly so that they contact the back of the engine it can bind up. An improperly installed starter can also bind the engine, I was hoping for your sake that was all there was too it.

Basicly if the engine wasn't seized prior to tranny install, it's something to do with the tranny installation.

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
I failed to ask how are determining that it is seized? Did you attempt to turn the engine over using the crank bolt and a ratchet or impact wrench? Or because the starter won't turn it over?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We put a new used engine in my daughters RAV... it turned over fine when we put the timing belt on (although the apprentice was doing that job), we bolted on the transmission then once we bolted the engine in place it doesn't want to turn over. It struggled a couple times now seized. Cams turn fine... wondering if there is any difference putting an engine that was an automatic with a manual transmission... anything that is different?
UPDATE - We pulled the tranny off and the engine turns fine... the new clutch we got from Exedy was 3mm higher than original, this is just enough that it binds on the transmission housing... so either it was boxed incorrectly or it is manufactured incorrectly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts