Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I bought a used 2007 RAV4 4 cylinder at 125,000 miles. It burns 1 quart of oil every 500 miles, extremely excessive in my opinion. I realize this car already passed the 10-year warranty from Toyota. I really like the car and planning to keep it for a while. Has anyone tried Engine Restorer on this engine, and did it help with the oil burning issue? Thank you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try using a thicker oil like 10W-30. It should reduce oil consumption a little. Looks like you got a lemon.
Thanks. Yes I plan to do so, not sure how much it will help...the way it burns oil is so excessive, I don't even have much faith in Engine Restorer. Hope someone who has experience using it will respond.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Would you be happy if it only burned 1 quart of gasoline every 500 miles? It's an old car. If you like it and you got it for a good price, just dump a quart in and enjoy it.
My first car was a 49 Chevy. The joke was that when I pulled into a gas station, we filled it with oil and just checked the gas.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would you be happy if it only burned 1 quart of gasoline every 500 miles? It's an old car. If you like it and you got it for a good price, just dump a quart in and enjoy it.
My first car was a 49 Chevy. The joke was that when I pulled into a gas station, we filled it with oil and just checked the gas.
LOL paperboy. It only has 125k miles, brand new in my mind. My daily driver is a 97 Camry with 305k, burns 1 quart of oil every 4000 miles, before Camry, I had a 90 Maxima that did not burn a drop of oil at 222k. So it's quite a shock to me for this modern RAV4, from a car company like Toyota.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
LOL paperboy. It only has 125k miles, brand new in my mind. My daily driver is a 97 Camry with 305k, burns 1 quart of oil every 4000 miles, before Camry, I had a 90 Maxima that did not burn a drop of oil at 222k. So it's quite a shock to me for this modern RAV4, from a car company like Toyota.
Lots of 2.4 litre Toyota engines are effected. So many that you would be shocked even more. Do not go by the name since all manufacturer have their lemons. Always research thoroughly otherwise you pay the price. Even Lexus and Honda have problems with some newer models that are very expensive to fix.

Here is the list of cars effected from high oil consumption:
  • 2007-2009 Toyota Camry
  • 2007-2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
  • 2007-2008 Toyota Solara
  • 2009 Toyota Corolla
  • 2009 Toyota Matrix
  • 2006-2008 Toyota RAV4
  • 2007-2008 Scion Tc
  • 2008-2009 Scion Xb

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lots of 2.4 litre Toyota engines are effected. So many that you would be shocked even more. Do not go by the name since all manufacturer have their lemons. Always research thoroughly otherwise you pay the price. Even Lexus and Honda have problems with some newer models that are very expensive to fix.

Here is the list of cars effected from high oil consumption:
  • 2007-2009 Toyota Camry
  • 2007-2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
  • 2007-2008 Toyota Solara
  • 2009 Toyota Corolla
  • 2009 Toyota Matrix
  • 2006-2008 Toyota RAV4
  • 2007-2008 Scion Tc
  • 2008-2009 Scion Xb
That's the chance I took buying a used car from a private seller 2 years ago. I had a good deal and I liked the car. I still do even today. I am considering trying the Restorer, if doesn't work, I will even consider replacing the engine with a JDM one at 50k miles. Local specialized shop quotes $1800 parts and labor...still a good deal for keeping it long term.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's the chance I took buying a used car from a private seller 2 years ago. I had a good deal and I liked the car. I still do even today. I am considering trying the Restorer, if doesn't work, I will even consider replacing the engine with a JDM one with 50k miles. Local specialized shop quotes $1800 parts and labor...still a good deal if keeping it long term.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
It would be better if you rebuilt your engine. First the JDM engine may also burn oil. Second rebuilding is cheaper. The piston and rings were replaced with improved parts when Toyota replaced the engines under their extended warranty coverage. These newer version piston and rings were suppose to stop the oil problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It would be better if you rebuilt your engine. First the JDM engine may also burn oil. Second rebuilding is cheaper. The piston and rings were replaced with improved parts when Toyota replaced the engines under their extended warranty coverage. These newer version piston and rings were suppose to stop the oil problem.
Thanks, I may consider that as another option. I wonder if people have good results with the new pistons and rings, and if these replacement parts are still available from Toyota.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I would also consider selling the car and getting a newer RAV4 like 2009 to 2012. Since $2000 will buy a newer car plus no engine to worry about. THe 2009 had a different engine (2.5 litre).

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I don't know which US city you live but here in the GTA lots of used Lexus RX350 from 2007-2008 are close to the price of the RAV4.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know which US city you live but here in the GTA lots of used Lexus RX350 from 2007-2008 are close to the price of the RAV4.
I just checked and you're right, the prices are about the same. I was shopping mainly for a 4-cylinder reliable suv that I can take it off-road, never even considered the RX. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I just checked and you're right, the prices are about the same. I was shopping mainly for a 4-cylinder reliable suv that I can take it off-road, never even considered the RX. Thanks!
Those older Lexus were well made. Much better than the RAV4 with more features. I think you will have a more reliable vehicle and those are V6 inside. Those Lexus are not on most people radar probably because many think they are expensive. The newer models make the older models look so old so they are being traded by many Lexus owners.

·
Super Moderator
9,445 Posts
Any of the thick additives such as Motor Honey, STP, etc will help reduce oil consumption. You need to use them liberally.

On the bright side you never have to change oil since you're doing it continually. And if it's any comfort you're getting 2000 MPG on oil.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Those older Lexus were well made. Much better than the RAV4 with more features. I think you will have a more reliable vehicle and those are V6 inside. Those Lexus are not on most people radar probably because many think they are expensive. The newer models make the older models look so old so they are being traded by many Lexus owners.
I like on the RAV4 the back seat position is adjustable (ie move forward or back), is RX3 the same?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Any of the thick additives such as Motor Honey, STP, etc will help reduce oil consumption. You need to use them liberally.

On the bright side you never have to change oil since you're doing it continually. And if it's any comfort you're getting 2000 MPG on oil.
I heard some additives are not good for this VVTi engine, hope someone can confirm.

yeah I realized that since I bought the car I haven't had to change oil...since I keep adding to it, it's always fresh and clean...lol

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thanks, I may consider that as another option. I wonder if people have good results with the new pistons and rings, and if these replacement parts are still available from Toyota.
Heavier oil will help with less oil consumption, but the answer is to have the pistons and rings replaced to the revised version. They have larger oil galleries. Around $2000 isn't too bad to get your engine repaired if that's what your local garage quoted you.Worth it if you plan on keeping your vehicle for a long time.Trading it in on something that has strong engine is also an option. Do your research first before buying.
My 06 had the warranty work done at Toyota and the engine acts like new now. Very little oil usage and increased acceleration. I think they said the job was about $5000 through them.
My brother in law who is a toyota tech said the repair isn't meant to stop the oil burning completely, but to reduce it to a reasonable amount. I think my engine was done well. Pleased with the results.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Heavier oil will help with less oil consumption, but the answer is to have the pistons and rings replaced to the revised version. They have larger oil galleries. Around $2000 isn't too bad to get your engine repaired if that's what your local garage quoted you.Worth it if you plan on keeping your vehicle for a long time.Trading it in on something that has strong engine is also an option. Do your research first before buying.
My 06 had the warranty work done at Toyota and the engine acts like new now. Very little oil usage and increased acceleration. I think they said the job was about $5000 through them.
My brother in law who is a toyota tech said the repair isn't meant to stop the oil burning completely, but to reduce it to a reasonable amount. I think my engine was done well. Pleased with the results.....
local Toyota service supervisor wouldn't even recommend re-building the engine. He said once you open it up, there will be more things to replace and pretty soon it'll be over the value of the car. Very true.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I misread your post. It's $1800 to replace it with a used engine. Not bad of a price.
PS.....It might be a little more expensive to open up the toyota engine and replace the pistons and rings. BUT, there would be no surprises with a toyota engine with only 125,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts