Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
Back about what seems a million years ago when I was in high school we had vocational auto shop which actually did work like rebuilding engines done by students under the instructor's supervision. Only cost to the owner was for parts. If there was any problem resulting the school shop would sort it out. Perhaps there is a similar school or vocational college near you which would do the same.

Pour-in "engine rebuilders" are engine oil thickeners which may help somewhat but in some engines have clogged oil passages and in any event would at least marginally reduce gas mileage.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Back about what seems a million years ago when I was in high school we had vocational auto shop which actually did work like rebuilding engines done by students under the instructor's supervision. Only cost to the owner was for parts. If there was any problem resulting the school shop would sort it out. Perhaps there is a similar school or vocational college near you which would do the same.

Pour-in "engine rebuilders" are engine oil thickeners which may help somewhat but in some engines have clogged oil passages and in any event would at least marginally reduce gas mileage.
That still happens in the community colleges around me.....good idea!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Those older Lexus RX 350s, say around 2008 or so, can have the rubber oil cooler hose burst problem. My neighbor has a 2008 with 100k miles, and his cooler hose burst during a road trip. Didn't ruin the engine, but it could have. He now has the all-metal hose assembly and problem solved.

·
Super Moderator
10,898 Posts
I have used Engine Restore as a last resort on old clunkers that I've owned and it did help reduce oil consumption. It won't stop it but it can reduce it. Depending on your climate/temperatures one can go to 10W40 or 20W50 and add the Engine restorer at the next oil change in place of the quantity of oil, don't overfill. I had one where I substituted one quart of ER for one quart of oil and it helped immensely. Experiment with the amount added to see what works. It must be used at every oil change and it is a band aid not a cure.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Those older Lexus RX 350s, say around 2008 or so, can have the rubber oil cooler hose burst problem. My neighbor has a 2008 with 100k miles, and his cooler hose burst during a road trip. Didn't ruin the engine, but it could have. He now has the all-metal hose assembly and problem solved.
Even the 2006 to 2007 (maybe some 2008) RAV4s have the same rubber oil hose. The newer metal oil hose are half what they use to cost before and are cheap to install. I think many people still do not know about how the rubber oil hose can burst.

·
Super Moderator
9,445 Posts
Even the 2006 to 2007 (maybe some 2008) RAV4 have the same rubber oil hose. The newer metal oil hose are half what they use to cost before and are cheap to install. I think many people still do not know about how the rubber oil hose can burst.
Thanks for the reminder to change the "hosed" line on my '08 Sienna. I doubt the metal one is doing any good in the glove box.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
local Toyota service supervisor wouldn't even recommend re-building the engine. He said once you open it up, there will be more things to replace and pretty soon it'll be over the value of the car. Very true.
But if you get a JDM engine, what's to say it won't have the same issue as yours?

·
Registered
322 Posts
WAY back in near-prehistoric times, we would take a tablespoon full of Bon Ami, pour 10 weight oil in it and then pour that mixture into a spark plug hole. Do that for each cylinder. Fire it up. Sometimes, the gentle scouring action of the Bon Ami would break the glaze on the cylinder wall and decrease the oil usage a little bit. Sometimes, all it did was create a big cloud of smoke for a couple of minutes.
Combine three or four 16 or 17 year old "expert" mechanics and a six pack purloined from the neighbor's garage 'fridge, and we were way smarter than any Detroit engineer. We didn't have internet or cable TV, and it could be that we were just bored.
Would I do that to an engine today? Sure. In a lawn mower or a snow blower.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
WAY back in near-prehistoric times, we would take a tablespoon full of Bon Ami, pour 10 weight oil in it and then pour that mixture into a spark plug hole. Do that for each cylinder. Fire it up. Sometimes, the gentle scouring action of the Bon Ami would break the glaze on the cylinder wall and decrease the oil usage a little bit. Sometimes, all it did was create a big cloud of smoke for a couple of minutes.
Combine three or four 16 or 17 year old "expert" mechanics and a six pack purloined from the neighbor's garage 'fridge, and we were way smarter than any Detroit engineer. We didn't have internet or cable TV, and it could be that we were just bored.
Would I do that to an engine today? Sure. In a lawn mower or a snow blower.
But more important......what brand six-pack we talkin'?

·
Registered
322 Posts
ravenuer asked: "But more important......what brand six-pack we talkin'? "
We called beer like that OP's. Other People's. Begers and 16 year olds can't be too fussy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2008 RAV4 and normally change the oil every year. It have 75K on the clock and I don't have oil consumption issues.
Suggest that you use a good synthetic 5W30 engine oil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check 05rav 's post here. He has been able to dramatically reduce oil consumption by using amsoil engine flush product etc, it's the same 2.4 engine

Worth a try

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello, I bought a used 2007 RAV4 4 cylinder at 125,000 miles. It burns 1 quart of oil every 500 miles, extremely excessive in my opinion. I realize this car already passed the 10-year warranty from Toyota. I really like the car and planning to keep it for a while. Has anyone tried Engine Restorer on this engine, and did it help with the oil burning issue? Thank you.
I am the original owner of a 2005 RAV4 with 148,000 miles. Since around 100k miles, it started burning about 1 quart every 1000 miles. With every 5000k mile oil change, I now use Rislone Ring Seal Smoke Repair and it has helped to reduce the oil burning to around 1 quart every 2000 miles.
At one point, I also replaced the PCV valve and that seemed to help the oil consumption as well. I do find it annoying to check the dipstick every 2-4 gas refills, but like you there is too much to like about the car to replace it for this reason.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hello, I bought a used 2007 RAV4 4 cylinder at 125,000 miles. It burns 1 quart of oil every 500 miles, extremely excessive in my opinion. I realize this car already passed the 10-year warranty from Toyota. I really like the car and planning to keep it for a while. Has anyone tried Engine Restorer on this engine, and did it help with the oil burning issue? Thank you.
First check for external leaks such as at oil pan gasket, oil drain plug (check if there's a gasket), oil filter is tightened (my 08 rav4 has o-rings at the filter housing not sure about 07). If there's no sign of external leaks, use 40w oil. It worked on my old corolla that was burning oil (blue smoke from the tail pipe). The oil burning stopped and didn't affect the gas mileage or acceleration noticeably.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Engine fix is snake oil. The rav burns oil because the return holes in the pistons get clogged and then the rings can stick. The only good way is to take it apart and fix it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 2008 RAV4 and normally change the oil every year. It have 75K on the clock and I don't have oil consumption issues.
Suggest that you use a good synthetic 5W30 engine oil.
Only the 2006 and 2007 Ravs with the 2.4 ltr 2AZ-FE engines were effected by the piston/ring issue and got the warranty extension. 2008s and up have a different 2.5 ltr engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine is a Japanese model 2008 - 2.4 RAV4 with the 2AZ FE VVTI engine. Guess I would have this issue when the engine accumulates some more miles.

·
Super Moderator
9,445 Posts
Only the 2006 and 2007 Ravs with the 2.4 ltr 2AZ-FE engines were effected by the piston/ring issue and got the warranty extension. 2008s and up have a different 2.5 ltr engine.
Correction: The new 2.5L came out in the 2009 models and has no history of oil usage issues

·
Registered
263 Posts
Any of the thick additives such as Motor Honey, STP, etc will help reduce oil consumption. You need to use them liberally.

On the bright side you never have to change oil since you're doing it continually. And if it's any comfort you're getting 2000 MPG on oil.
Even an engine that consumes oil requires regular oil changes in order to dispose of everything collected by the oil.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 46 Posts