Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Even an engine that consumes oil requires regular oil changes in order to dispose of everything collected by the oil.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
That would depend on how much oil it's burning. A quart or two over the oil change period and I would agree with you. However, if it's burning 5 or 6 quarts over that period, you're replacing all the oil anyway, so no point in changing it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
That would depend on how much oil it's burning. A quart or two over the oil change period and I would agree with you. However, if it's burning 5 or 6 quarts over that period, you're replacing all the oil anyway, so no point in changing it.
If it is burning everything, I would still do a flush, but that's just me. And at the point the engine is no good, burning that much oil.

·
Super Moderator
9,445 Posts
Whichever way you go on oil you need to change the filter every 5K or so.

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
About the suggestion to flush the engine, the owner should be careful with older engines. I flushed the V8 engine on my then-Ford and that loosened some gunk in the oil passages which subsequently clogged the passages leading to the valve gear. Result was that I had to have some rocker arms replaced, but fortunately the rocker arm shaft was salvageable.

·
Registered
263 Posts
About the suggestion to flush the engine, the owner should be careful with older engines. I flushed the V8 engine on my then-Ford and that loosened some gunk in the oil passages which subsequently clogged the passages leading to the valve gear. Result was that I had to have some rocker arms replaced, but fortunately the rocker arm shaft was salvageable.
the way I flush the engine is to top off the engine oil with the clean oil recommended by the manufacturer, start the car and let it run for 5 mins, drain it, replace the filter and then refill it with clean oil to the max line.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts