Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, So this morning I was driving my 2007 Rav 4 to work and I even let it sit for a minute or two so the engine would warm up before pulling away. As I was driving on a street to work even with my foot lightly touching the pedal, as it was switching gears it began to rev up and down and the rpm gauge would go up and down as well at like 30 to 35 mph. Does anyone know what kind of weird phenomena this is? Should I check my spark plugs and wires or transmission? Any suggestions would help, thanks guys!:frown

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hate to say it but it sounds like the dreaded unintended acceleration that Toyota and most members of this forum deny exists.
Do you have the Smart Stop Technology installed? It's a free upgrade available from your dealer.
Do you have a weak battery? UA has happened to 9 members of this forum and the common denominator seems to be a weak battery.
Is the floor mat interfering with the accelerator pedal?
Be prepared to be attacked as a bad driver or having your foot on the accelerator instead of the brake.:smile

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,930 Posts
It could also be a flaky throttle position sensor or accelerator pedal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes you're right Ronto it looks like there has been other users here having the same issue. Oh and I dont care if people say im a bad driver lol because I know I am not lol. I have driven 14 wheelers and everything else so I am pretty comfortable with my Rav 4 lol. I will try all of the things you mentioned starting with the battery. After that I will stop by my dealer to see what they can do, I have a 4 year warranty still on my Rav so I am not too worried. Thank you!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Yes you're right Ronto it looks like there has been other users here having the same issue. Oh and I dont care if people say im a bad driver lol because I know I am not lol. I have driven 14 wheelers and everything else so I am pretty comfortable with my Rav 4 lol. I will try all of the things you mentioned starting with the battery. After that I will stop by my dealer to see what they can do, I have a 4 year warranty still on my Rav so I am not too worried. Thank you!
UA has happened to many members from a dead stop with the right foot firmly on the brake no where near the accelerator. After it happened to me, when stopped and in gear for any reason with the engine running I put it in "N" just to be on the safe side in case it decides to rev up by itself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts