Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went for oil change to a mechanic. After sometime the guy told me that they cant open my filter housing so they are gonna do oil chnage only and I should go back to previous service center (which is Toyota) to get the filter changed. I said okay.

After two days I took car out and drove car around 100 Miles and then low oil sign started blinking and check engine light came with diagnosis code P0017. I checked and looked like there was no oil in the engine.

I towed car to a mechanic (same company another store) and they said filter assembly is broken and oil is dripping. Car was humming but they put oil and then tried to turn it on and it turned on fine. I am not worried if this episode damaged my engine in any ways.

The new mechanic told me all new cars (mine is Rav4 2011 Base Model) are made to shutdown when no oil. So engine cannot go bad. Is this true?

Basically I am looking for suggestion on what else could have gotten damaged and how to ensure everything is okay with the car?

Thanks a lot for your help.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It appears that the mechanic tried to unscrew the oil filter housing with the wrong sort of wrench and cracked/broke the housing in the process, then incompetently told you drive to another oil change shop with the housing cracked and leaking oil. That shop should pay for any necessary repairs. If you drove the car with the oil pressure warning light on for more than what was necessary to immediately get off the road safely then the engine could be damaged.

A few years ago there was a discussion on this forum about whether RAV engines shut down automatically if there is no oil in the engine, and the answer then was that there is no such automatic shut down system - engines will continue to run even though there isn't any oil and so they can be damaged.

After the oil has been replaced and the filter housing replaced and secured there is a procedure by which an oil pressure gauge can be attached to the engine to test the oil pressure while the engine is started and run. If the engine has been damaged the most likely immediate problem would be scored and burned engine bearings. If the measured oil pressure is too low the bearings likely will need to be replaced. Otherwise if the oil pressure is good the engine likely is OK as is. Best of luck!

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
If there is no oil it means your engine has been damaged. A compression test will verify the health. Looks like the the first garage screwed up and unless they fix the engine you may have to sue them in small claim court. Keep all evidence and take pictures of the oil housing and get things in writing. The engine will be very costly to replace. Maybe over $3k.

·
Super Moderator
11,107 Posts
The new mechanic told me all new cars (mine is Rav4 2011 Base Model) are made to shutdown when no oil. So engine cannot go bad. Is this true?
NO it is not. It will shut down but that's due to no oil and means it's locked up completely requiring a new or rebuilt engine.
Whatever company that is hold their feet to the fire, they likely damaged your engine and are trying to weasel out of it. They are incompetent or liars, maybe both.

·
Registered
248 Posts
If there is no oil it means your engine has been damaged. A compression test will verify the health. Looks like the the first garage screwed up and unless they fix the engine you may have to sue them in small claim court. Keep all evidence and take pictures of the oil housing and get things in writing. The engine will be very costly to replace. Maybe over $3k.
A compression test will not tell him if there has been bearing damage, the usual first effect of poor lubrication. Oil pressure over time will be an indicator of excess bearing wear, but even that will only be evident if the damage is extreme.

·
Super Moderator
10,141 Posts
A compression test will not tell him if there has been bearing damage, the usual first effect of poor lubrication.
Once bearings have been damaged the engine will develop a knock. Then it has to be completely dissembled for repair.

The connecting rod and main bearing surfaces are covered with a metal called Babbitt. It's so soft you can scratch it with your fingernail. Running w/o any oil coating destroys it instantly.

Fortunately for people who drive a short distance w/o oil pressure a film of oil often saves severe damage but once a knock starts it's too late.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts