Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 1997 rav4's engine is dead. will a 1998 or 99 engine fit inside my little workhorse? thanks.

nb: manual transmission.

·
Super Moderator
10,218 Posts
Yes, but the ignition electrical system is different. The 98/99 doesn't have an ignition.
Well, not exactly since they all have ignition systems, but different types. I suspect the 97-99 engines themselves are interchangeable just some parts of the 97 must be moved over to the new 98/99 to avoid extensive rewiring.

·
Registered
10,247 Posts
Well, not exactly since they all have ignition systems, but different types. I suspect the 97-99 engines themselves are interchangeable just some parts of the 97 must be moved over to the new 98/99 to avoid extensive rewiring.
Well, that was just to make it simple. I really don't know if rav4ce4evr has the knowledge on moving all the part from one engine to the other, I don't. The idea is to keep it simple and cheap, unless where needed.

·
Super Moderator
10,218 Posts
Well, that was just to make it simple. I really don't know if rav4ce4evr has the knowledge on moving all the part from one engine to the other, I don't. The idea is to keep it simple and cheap, unless where needed.
Agreed. Whenever an engine swap is done even with the same year there are always some parts that get removed from the old and reinstalled on the new. In this case the ignition system might or might not be a simple swapover so one's ability to perform it needs to be considered in advance of purchasing a different year engine.

·
Registered
412 Posts
What is the definition of a dead engine? lol

Mine burns a quart every 500 miles and giving me 18mpg at 70mph on freeway... Is that dead ? I think so.

I want to get mine rebuilt with OEM parts. I may have to ship my vehicle to another town in USA to a best engine rebuild shop.

May be if I hadn't used it to its limit, it could have lasted longer. LOL.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Mine burns a quart every 500 miles and giving me 18mpg at 70mph on freeway... Is that dead ?
Nope, and likely falls within what the specs say are fairly normal.

But your spark plugs are likely fouling more often (replaced lately?), and may need other basic maintenance to increase MPG, etc.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Nope, and likely falls within what the specs say are fairly normal.

But your spark plugs are likely fouling more often (replaced lately?), and may need other basic maintenance to increase MPG, etc.

Spark plugs changed.
Assured proper tire pressure on new tires.
PCV valve changed.
Brakes not sticking.
All fluids fresh.

I doubt that my BFG All terrain tires or the high jack, Shuvl, and axe mounted on my luggage rack are really causing all this.
I get better fuel economy out of my FJ. LOL !

Sorry to the OP for high jacking his post. LOL !

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,086 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts