Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be sitting at a stoplight, and suddenly the (gas) engine shuts off. Traffic light turns green, I hit the gas, engine starts, off we go. Happens only occasionally.

Yes, I know this "stop-start" is considered a "feature" not a bug (intended to improve mileage), but...I'm pretty sure my car does not have this feature. At least it didn't before, this has only been happening for the past few weeks, I've had the car 4.5 years (2016 RAVV4 LE Hybrid). I find it pretty annoying (even if it actually was a "feature" on newer/other cars).

I don't think Toyota came to my house one night and secretly added the "stop/start" feature to my car. So I'm wondering if something has clogged...

Any ideas? Things to check?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2016 Hybrid Limited
69 Posts
I thought this was the norm? It’s been like this for us since day one. If the hybrid battery is showing full or near full charge the gas engine shuts off when stopped.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'll be sitting at a stoplight, and suddenly the (gas) engine shuts off. Traffic light turns green, I hit the gas, engine starts, off we go. Happens only occasionally.
COMPLETELY NORMAL.

The car is optimizing (or rather minimizing) fuel consumption. If there was a problem, the car would let you know via warning lights that would need to get read w/ a proper code reader (ideally Techstream).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Maybe it is restarting in a slightly rougher way and you just happen to notice it now. Did anything change about environmental factors where you drive? Did you move to a colder climate? Did you start driving in a place with long duration traffic signals? What your RAV4 Hybrid is doing is absolutely normal.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
If you've had your hybrid 4.5 years and this is the first the engine has ever shut off then yes there is certainly something wrong with your car. And if this thread is actually serious, you have no idea what a hybrid is or what you bought 4.5 years ago. Buys hybrid. Mad it shuts engine off. Lol

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 hybrid XLE, Magnetic Grey metallic, cold weather package.
475 Posts
Or maybe op driving changed and the car actually started doing what it was designed to do.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 hybrid XLE, Magnetic Grey metallic, cold weather package.
475 Posts
He stopped for the very first time?
No, maybe he was always lightfooted on the brakes and start/stop didn't activate, maybe he always used AC or heater before, thus engine never stopped.
Maybe system setting changed after last update,making the system more sensitive .
Maybe , as someone pointed out , engine was stoping and starting but it was smooth and unnoticed, and now the start is roughfer and more noisy than before. I just got my 2020 XLEh. And some times I can not tell when engine stops or start except when I start the car the first time cold. If engine hot it barely noticeable.

·
Super Moderator
11,320 Posts
From Car & Driver 2016 RAV4 Hybrid test:

Gently rolling on the accelerator results in seamless acceleration, with the engine start-up nearly unnoticeable to driver and passengers. More spirited acceleration and full-throttle runs are a touch rougher when the engine fires up and joins in on the fun, but noise, vibration, and harshness is kept in check. Because the electric motors provide instant torque, we didn't find the stop/start system to be as intrusive as in other vehicles.

It's always been there it just took 4.5 years to notice it apparently.

·
Super Moderator
11,320 Posts
As far as I recall there was no 2016 RAV4 LE HV... 2016 Model Yr was XLE and Limited only....
You are on the money. From Edmunds:

2016 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid models
The 2016 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid is a five-passenger compact SUV available in XLE and Limited trim levels.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts