Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY 99 RAV is smoking at start up with 121000 miles on it and seems to be loosing power as well. i am pretty mechanically inclined but have never tackled a Toyota Engine. Would I be better off to find a low milage engine from a wrecking yard and change the engine out or change the seals ? The shops around here want 1000 bucks to change the seals. . .which kinda scares me in thinking it is a major undertaking to change. . any help would be great!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bigtime,
Is this just the typical puff at startup that most RAVs exhibit? Ours does the same thing, power is still ok though...I just live with it and check the oil every few days...seems that once the oil gets 3-4000 miles on it, it disappears faster, so I'll usually change it around 4k miles...

So, if your goal is more performance oriented, I'd say swap out the seals, or maybe find a different engine. But, if you just intend to drive the thing, keep a quart or two of oil in the back and check the level often...$1000 buys a lot of oil...

Bogatyr

·
Registered
106 Posts
Agreed. Our 160K '97 blows smoke on start-up as well. I do not however think the worn valve seals and loss of power are related. Give her a tune-up and don't ignore the fuel filter

1 - 3 of 3 Posts