Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having my entire engine removed and having it port and polish(doing it myself :D ). Bought a TRD 0.8mm head gasket to replace the standard 1.2mm gasket to give it a little more compression. Replacing the standard flywheel to a 4.0kg(8.8lb) flywheel from JUN. I have the pictures of the entire engine, head block and lots of other things being strip and having the pain of port polishing today. Will have to install the fuel pressure regulator too because the 3SGE fuel rail is a pain in the ass. Can't strip it while the engine is intack. Also it needs an adaptor for the regulator from the fuel rail.

A lot of work, but at least it will be worth the doing. While doingit, I'm replacing the flywheel to a heavy duty Exedy one. Replace the valve stem seals, cambelt, air cond pump, water pump, oil pump, cam seals.

All these work and I will try and finish it by 2 days. The third day will be reinstalling the entire engine block, gearbox and possibly the looming. Sigh.... so much work and going flat out to get it done in total of 3 days.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any further info, pictures? How about some seat of the pants or actual improvments?

This is an extremely interesting mod.

PLease let us know

Thanks

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got me RAV4 back before Easter. However, it was a day late rather than the scheduled 3 days. I worked overtime to get my baby up running again.

If anyone is interested for some pictures or can host them for me, please email me on [email protected] so that I can forward the pictures to you.

There are a few things that I did without listing. I removed the fuel pump relay and short it out to the ignition. This way, I get fuel once I have the key on start rather than letting the ECU pump fuel when I hit ignition.

The JUN 4.0kg flywheel is a hell of a noise when it comes to start up. You can hear the loud sharp crank noise vividly on the background. Not very good when you want to get away early in your garage. Waking up the entire family.

My current compression ratio is more like 11.6:1 than the standard 11.0:1. Engine oil temperature has risen from avg of 77deg C to 80deg C on 110km/hr runs on motorway. Indication of higher engine temperature due to higher compression ratio.

The fuel pressure regulator setting is now on 2.5bar at idle speed(1100rpm) and near 3.0bar at 5000rpm. I wanted to set it higher, but will have to wait until end of next week at the track before proceeding to fine tuning.

I replaced the gearbox final gear of the standard RAV4 to that of the Celica GT4 ST205. There is a bit of difference in all gears. Engine tend to run at lower speed at 100km/hr. Usually at 5th gear, I'm reving around 3000-3100rpm. Now I'm sitting at 2900-3000rpm. Great saving for gas on the long run, but sacrificing low end power.

·
Registered
4 Posts
kidong said:
I replaced the gearbox final gear of the standard RAV4 to that of the Celica GT4 ST205. There is a bit of difference in all gears. Engine tend to run at lower speed at 100km/hr. Usually at 5th gear, I'm reving around 3000-3100rpm. Now I'm sitting at 2900-3000rpm. Great saving for gas on the long run, but sacrificing low end power.
Does anyone have any more info on the ability to swap final drives between the rav4 and gtfours?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts