Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

This only happens on cold starts in the morning. After turning the key, the engine studders a bit (maybe 1-2 seconds) before bursting into life. What could be the problem here? Spark plugs? Spark plug wires? Ignition coil? Fuel pump? Fuel filter? Just throwing possibilities out here.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Johnny

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I went ahead and tried that this morning. It didn't work. The engine still studders when it first starts. It still runs perfectly, I just went on a 200 mile trip with her. Just a little worried about her health is all :)

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Ok, next do the tune up (plugs, wires, air filter, fuel additive for any water) -- probably are needed anyway. Next I'd then replace the IAC (idle air control valve) and the oxygen sensor. RockAuto.com sells the parts for cheap.

But could be many other things. If you haven't had the fault codes read yet stop by an AutoZone for a freebie, or pick up a OBD-II reader and do it yourself.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the recommendations. I went ahead and ordered a set of spark plugs and wires. The air filter is clean. Just replaced within the last couple of months. Same with the bank 1, sensor 2 O2 sensor. I doubt that is causing this hesitation.

I normally fill up at a top-tier gasoline gas station every 2 weeks or so, and I don't believe that there's any water in the fuel tank. Worth a try anyway. I'll head to walmart tomorrow and see what I can pick up.

I actually own a little OBD-II reader. No codes are present in the system and all of the systems are in the "ready" position.

As for the IAC, wouldn't it be easier to take it off and give it a good clean (with carb cleaner or equivalent) rather than purchasing a new one? Probably can clean the throttle body as well.

Thank you very much for your input. Seriously :)

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Yes, likely worth cleaning the TB via taking it off. There's various threads here on the site about doing it. But read carefully about the IAC and sensors -- they are easily damaged by the aggressive cleaner/spray. I tried, but ultimately had to replace the IAC to solve a rough idle. A new IAC wasn't too expensive via RockAuto, but it didn't come with the needed (O-ring type) IAC-to-TB gasket -- get one in advance from a Toyota dealer.

If you haven't done it already, also read about (then do) a heavy-duty engine-to-body/battery ground strap. Cure for another common set of problems! Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all the suggestions. I have never heard of a heavy duty engine-to-body/battery ground strap. I will have to look that up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts