Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know if it is possible to swap an engine from a 97 Rav4 with an auto trans to one with a manual trans. Both are 2wd.

I read in another post that no pilot bearing is used, but I am concerned that there may be other differences in the engine that may prevent the flywheel or trans from mounting properly.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
I haven't done it but doubt there'd be any problems. You'd be removing the drive plate and torque converter and replacing it with a flywheel but does it even have a pilot bearing?
They are used on "conventional" rear wheel drive vehicles, mostly pickup trucks these days, where the pilot bearing is needed to support one end of the input shaft.
Front wheel drive transaxles typically have their input shaft already supported on both ends by internal bearings so no pilot bearing is used. (Might have been my post you saw as I seem to recall explaining it before.)
Why not call your Toyota dealer and see if they sell a pilot bearing?

Where are you getting the engine? If from a junk yard they often have manual/automatic compatibility info.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought a 97 2 door last year that was wrecked in front. I had hoped the frame wasn't bent, but I was wrong. the engine runs fine.

I already have a 97 4wheel drive that the engine is a little shaky, so I thought I might use the engine from the 2 door, but found out that they are not compatible 2wd to 4wd

I am considering buying an intact 97 4 door that needs an engine and doing the swap.

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
I already have a 97 4wheel drive that the engine is a little shaky, so I thought I might use the engine from the 2 door, but found out that they are not compatible 2wd to 4wd.
That's surprising. Where's you get that info? I don't know why the engines would be different.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's surprising. Where's you get that info? I don't know why the engines would be different.
I got it on some forum, maybe this one. I'm not sure if it means both ways or not.

Something about the block castings being different to accommodate the transfer case.

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
I got it on some forum, maybe this one. I'm not sure if it means both ways or not.

Something about the block castings being different to accommodate the transfer case.
Call a salvage yard and ask them for a FWD OR a 4WD engine. They'll tell you which one or both will fit.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Transfer case mounts to the back of the engine (in addition to being mounted to the tranny), but I highly doubt those provisions are specific to FWD/AWD block castings. If people can install 3S-GTE turbo motor from MR2, I am pretty sure you can mix and match FWD/AWD/5SP/AUTO 3S-FE engine blocks.

I have 3S-FE engine that came out of AWD Rav4 5 speed, I could take a photo of it and we can compare them your engine. That could create a useful point for reference for future information seekers.

In Mitsu 4G63 world, the only difference between Auto and manual engines is a pilot ring in the center of the crank, which can be transferred from one engine to anther.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts