Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, pretty new to the RAV4, I have a 2002 5 speed, body and mechanically in great condition but looking for more power, what engines without too much trouble, slide in nicely, with the usual expectations of electrical and exhaust work

·
Registered
11 Posts
People have been putting the 2AZ-FE (basically the same as the factory 1AZ), it bumps the displacement up to 2.4L. From what I have seen they run the 2.4L on the 2.0L electronics, however you must realize the 2.0L computer has been programmed to provide fuel and timing for a 2.0L. It will run but it won't bee 100% of what it could.

There is the possibility of putting a small turbo on the engine using Scion TC parts, but you will need to do a decent amount of fabrication and you will need a computer to help with the added air.

I have been doing some research on the possibility of a V6 swap, it seems like Toyota uses very similar bolt patterns for all of their FWD vehicles so as long as real-state in the engine bay is there its plausible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2.4 eh, V6 very interesting, what would be a good downer car for either one , guessing if I was to swap out I would need to use something with a manual transmission

·
Super Moderator
11,338 Posts
You don't say where you're located but at least in the US/Canada all V6 RAV4s have automatics. Years = 2006-2012, but if you like power I strongly recommend you never test drive one. I did and had to have one, for the wife of course. :wink

·
Registered
11 Posts
True, all the US spec V6 RAVs came with auto boxes, but Toyota used very similar transmission bolt patterns between the I4 and V6, the MR2 community does a lot of V6 swaps using the existing 5spd manual trans in the MR2.

I had created a matrix of Toyota engines and the associated transmissions they use, from what I could dig up, the 1MZ and possibly the 2GR could bolt to the RAV4 manual trans. I read the MR2 guys have to drill and tap one bolt hole/ one bolt does not align but all others do.

I'm planning on picking up another RAV in the next couple years and doing some serious R&D on the V6 swap. I think the transmission is the easy part, fitting the engine in the bay will be the challenge. I would love to have an AWD 2GR RAV with a manual trans.

Also, the 2AZ-FE came in many vehicles, even the latter 4.2 RAV4, but most notably it came in the Scion TC. The TC guys make amazing amounts of power applying a turbo to the stock 2AZ engine. There are tons of aftermarket parts for the 2AZ, you just need to be creative and understand how to modify parts for one car to work on another.

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
Ah, for the good old bolt-in swap days - LaSalle and Caddy manual gearboxes into auto trans. Olds Rocket V8 cars, small block Chev V8 and other GM manuals into amto trans Chev V8 cars, etc. with no ECU or wiring problems or any problems with installing clutch pedals and linkage. Not so easy a job these days . . .:crying

1 - 6 of 6 Posts