Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im starting to plan out the swap to a 4th gen 3s-gte in my 98' 2dr manual awd. I have never done an engine swap before but have taken the ravs engine out and successfully put it back in.

A question about the wiring. If i get the loom and ecu out of the donor car, what wiring will have to be done? Is all the engine wiring good to go and its just the inside wiring like the gauges etc. Iv done lots of research but cant seem to find why even if you swap the loom and ecu there still has to be a hackjob.

Im studying electrical engineering in uni so following wiring diagrams shouldn't be a problem, im just confused in what actually has to be wired.

Thankyou in advanced!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am at the tail end of this swap at the moment. Let me just summarize it as: You need to pull apart 4 wiring harnesses (Caldina motor, Caldina chassis, RAV4 motor, RAV4 chassis) and toss what isn't needed, keep what is and make 2 harnesses from the 4. The 2 harnesses from each side (Caldina, RAV, new merged) are interconnected at several points. It is a pretty big job.

I really think that had I to do it over, I would have mailed the car and six large to the company that will do the swap for you and mail it back to you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts