Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so here is the question of the hour, or at least for me at 1:30 in the morning. The 3-sgte engine swap, how hard on an auto with all wheel drive. I saw the toysport and jazz engines, and i thought the said manual trannies. Is it that hard, or is it hard to convert an auto tranny to a manual? I mean if the engine comes with the manual tranny, would all i need to do is find the interior parts and install them? Or can I use an auto tranny with these engines that say there were scalped from the manuals? And is the JDM 3-sgte engine for the ST185 celeica the right engine?

Reason I am curious, is deciding now if I should save for rebuilding the Rav, or save for buying a new/used Rav or Subaru WRX. (opposites, I know, but looks like my best two chooices)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Im no expert on this, if you wnat an expert opinion talk to Andrew on here or over at the RAV4OZ forums, he is one of the few that did the swap.

But from the research that ive done on the swap so far, the auto that orginally came with the 3SFE in your RAV4 can't hold up to the power level of a 3S-GTE. And swapping from an auto to a manual is no easy task, according to the people ive talked to abotu it so far.

And any of the ST celica motors will fit into the RAV4, its just a matter of finding the one you wnat to use. Each new rendition of the celica came with a stronger motor, ST165 havingthe lowest power @ 185hp, and al lthe way up to the ST205 @ 245hp. They are all essentially the same motor, jsut with minor differences. So its really more of what you want, rather than which will fit.

And abotu the subie, I dunno what to tell you lol. I own both a 98 rav, and a 02 scoobie, and I love them both. I say do like I did, mod the rav while saving up the money to get the scoobie.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts