Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '00 RAV4 auto (78k km/48k miles) makes a fast ticking sound from the engine bay after the engine has been running for a few minutes. It's audible from inside the car when idling. If I look under the hood it seems to be coming from the rear of the engine bay in front of the driver, but I can't see from exactly where.

I'm no mechanic so the part that I can't figure out is why the noise only shows up after the engine has been running for a little while, regardless of engine temperature. It doesn't do it at start-up, but by the time I've driven 3 miles it's ticking. But if I turn off the ignition while it's ticking, then immediately re-start, the noise isn't there and the engine just purrs.

Can anyone identify what might be making the ticking? The car runs fine, but only having driven it about 600 miles since I bought it I'm not sure how normal this may be.

·
Registered
880 Posts
It could be valves or injectors, depending on which noise you are refering to, if you only hear it at idle that is pretty typical, if this is somehting that is evident while driving there might be something wrong. Make sure your oil isn't low, the top end will make lots of noise if it's not getting oil.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. The oil is OK. I thought about the injectors, but I'm not sure how that would explain why I can make the ticking noise go away by just turning off the engine and then re-starting right away. Wouldn't the ticking always be there at idle if it was valves or injectors?

K

·
0 Posts
If the ticking is very rapid, like 400 bpm, it's your fuel filter and carbon canister.

If the ticking sounds like a time bomb, it's your exhaust cooling down.

Nothing wrong with it. Normal for a RAV4.

T

·
0 Posts
My 97 Rav4 had a ticking noise as soon as I turned it on and on Monday I had the timing belt and water pump changed and now their is no noise. My Rav4 actually drives better too, the gears seem to go in smoother and the engine is quiet

·
Registered
302 Posts
BMorton : Is the noise when the engine is still running or when you shut it off after it's been running for a while ?

If it's after you shut the Rav off , the noise is just the hot metal (exhaust / heat shields) going through their expansion/contraction cycle . Perfectly normal .

If the noise is while the engine is running , as mentioned , it could be the fuel injectors or your valves .

In the Haynes manual I have , they say the valve clearances are checked by ear (audible) .
I guess this means that it's not necessary to check the clearances till you hear them clicking .
For you , it might be time .

Hope this helps .

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, like I said in my original post I hear the noise when the engine is idling (i.e., running). It's a fast ticking, definitely something running off the engine, but again, if I shut the engine off while it's making the noise, then start it up again right away, the noise isn't there. So far I haven't seen an idea on what it could be that takes this into account.

By the way, I'm also from London. You didn't buy your RAV from Airport Hyundai by any chance?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Sharp eye , my man !!

Long story short ------- I totaled my 98 Rav, wanted a larger Santa Fe , couldn't afford it so I slid back into another Rav with the 2000 model that Airport Hyundai had.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ha ha, educated guess. When I was looking for a RAV late last year I remember seeing your black one in the Auto Trader. They didn't say how many km's it had on it, but it looked like a good one. Unfortunately I wanted an automatic so I had to keep looking. Obviously you didn't have any major complaints about your '98 if you got into another one.

A

·
0 Posts
I know ticking can be lots of things - but I have seen a couple of times where something (Like metal or stone) has got trapper between the idler pulley and alternator belt and it ticks loudly -

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to give credit where credit is due, kidong was on the right track when he suggested it could be related to the carbon canister. Turns out the ticking is the sound of the canister purge valve solenoid, and since the EVAP system is controlled by the ECU to only run under certain conditions, that's why the noise wasn't there all the time.

Some cars' purge solenoids are louder than others. Never had a Toyota before so maybe they're just in the 'loud' category. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

E

·
0 Posts
my RAV 2004 has the unusual ticking sound every morning when starting, then the sound is refined after a few minutes.

However, when i started to have its temperature reach the normal level before leaving the garrage, the unusual ticking sound every morning has disappeared. Now, i need to warm up the engine before leaving the garrage.

Hence, i guess it is the ECU that adjust the driving character is the culprit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts