Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, My 1996 Rav4 makes a loud vibrating noise at 4000 RPM. it is always the same RPM and the vibration then goes away but the pitch of the engine is very different after that. After 4000 RPM it is much more like an out of control cheese grater than anything else. Could this be a harmonic in some loose piece of metal somwhere in the exaust causing crazy vibration? I am pretty sure it is not comming fron under the hood as when I rev the car with the hood opened and i am looking under the hood, the noise seems to come from farther back. the initial noise at 4000 rpm sounds alot like when you take a piece of sheet metal and shake it, but much faster.

·
Registered
986 Posts
A common problem, especially with older Ravs, is the heat shield on the exhaust pipe under the engine. It's not something you really need, so if it's rusted and loose, you can take it off.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you show me a picture? Is it the shield over the exaust manifold witht he picture of a hand with a slash through it?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Sounds like he's talking about a heat shield that's underneath the engine, not the one in the engine bay that you see when you open the hood, with the picture of the hand on it.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Yes it's the heat shield on the exhaust pipe under the engine. You will have to slide under the front of the car to see it. The exhaust pipe starts at the header in front of the engine (under that other shield you mentioned) and runs down under the engine towards the back of the car.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An extra hand will help a lot. have someone tap the tailpipe while you crawl undrneath the car...either heatshield or maybe some loose particle from your catalytic converter trapped in your muffler.

Goodluck.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ugh, kill me now, or do it for me, sigh, thanks guys.

·
Registered
986 Posts
It's a lot easier to fix than it sounds. If you want to do it the easy way, just take off the shield and drive around to see if the car still makes the noise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts