Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My entune navigation locked up (partially) again today. It's been happening about twice a week now. This time, I took a video showing the problem (to, hopefully, convince the dealership that there really is a problem even if they can't repeat it.)

https://youtu.be/uIjDrfa8MEc

(Doesn't rav4world have bbcode tags for embedding video from youtube?? If so, what are they and I'll edit this post to use them.)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
have you looked for an update for the software?
It's up to date (according to the menu on the radio itself.) It's also attached via Entune on my phone, and that isn't showing an update either.

The dealership DID apply an update to it when I purchased the car last month.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
then it is their problem, not yours..... take it back
Just take it back and demand a refund? heh.. Wouldn't that be nice?

I'm TRYING to get one of the dealership's service people to view that youtube video to determine if it's something they can fix or what. My worst fear is that either they'll refuse to work on it if they can't reproduce it reliably (and I have no idea how to reproduce it), or that they'll say it's a known issue and they can't fix it.

A best case (if you can call it that) is that the radio (or some portion of the radio) is faulty and they can just swap it out quickly to fix the issue.

(The wonky colored lines on the screen when I pull up the ECO page makes it look like bad hardware, but I'm a software engineer, so I have a natural instinct to blame all problems on hardware.)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you held the power button in until it does a soft re-boot?
I didn't try that, but will next time it happens. IF that works, at least I won't have to pull over and turn off the car to get things working again...

I've sent copies of these videos to my dealership... will report back what happens (or what doesn't.)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just take it back and demand a refund? heh.. Wouldn't that be nice?
trust me nobody wants to see your video before the car gets there.

whatever tech gets the warranty ticket will try to duplicate it.

if he/she can, you are golden, if not the parts department may ship it out to be repaired , which is what we did when I worked at a Ford dealer, or they may order a new radio, or do an exchange.

If you are on good terms with the parts department you can ask them what happens when they have a radio problem, because if it isn't a quick fix reload the software ( if available ) issue it is the parts guys that are doing the leg work, not the service guys

iirc Pioneer makes most of the radios for Toyota

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've had my 2016 Limited with Advanced Tech for about 4 weeks. I've had the lockup 5 times. After the first time I learned about the long-press of the power to force a reset. At least I can fix it "in flight".

Twice it happened soon after I asked it to readout emails and stopped that part way through.

I have no reason to believe it is hardware in my case.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I showed the videos to my dealership, and the service folks were actually grateful for them. Apparently, they've been getting a lot of complaints about the units locking up (either fully or partially), but they've been completely unable to repeat them (and no one else, apparently, took the time to record any kind of video.) They asked my permission to forward the videos to Toyota as "proof" that something is wrong.

Most likely, this will result in Toyota authorizing the dealership to swap out my head unit. Hopefully, it will also contribute to Toyota taking an interest in the problem on all vehicles (and eventually coming up with a solution for ALL owners.) I'd suggest that anyone else having this problem inform their dealership about it. Until a service complaint is made, Toyota probably assumes that everything is working perfectly.

According to my dealership, there was a similar issue with one of the prius v model years that was eventually determined by Toyota to be a cooling problem. Based on what I've seen, we might have the same issue on our Rav4's.

Gary

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yup, my car dealer checked it out this past weekend. They couldn't reproduce the problem. And they are not willing to ask for a replacement for the head unit due to being to new. At least they said they will monitor with me. So every time it happens, I just give a call to the service rep supervisor. And explain what I did that would cause it to freeze. Hopefully with enough calls they can then figure out the problem.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
... they are not willing to ask for a replacement for the head unit due to being to new.
If you have a mobile phone with the capability to take video, I'd suggest doing what I did: make videos of the lockups demonstrating that it's locked up, showing what does and doesn't work.

There's really a twofold purpose in this. The first, obviously, is to prove to the dealership and Toyota that the lockups are real. The second is to actually try and help Toyota to see, understand and eventually fix the problem.

Okay, there's also another motive that's less noble: My past experience with other car manufacturers suggests that they'll do everything they possibly can to avoid admitting a problem. By recording the issue and posting it on a public youtube site, and getting others to do the same, I'm hoping to force Toyota into doing something about the issue.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...an overdue update. A few weeks ago, my dealership ordered a replacement display unit. Yes, the videos helped. (Oh, and pressing/holding the power button to force a reset DOES work to get things working again while moving, but it's also very distracting when driving.)

Due to what they claim is a mix-up, the order was delayed, but it finally came in this week. I have an appointment tomorrow afternoon to have the display unit replaced. I have no idea if this will fix the problem, but having the warranty work order documents Toyota's acknowledgement of the problem... which is always the first step.

It's a good thing that this is being addressed, as the problem has been occurring more often with the warmer weather here in the eastern US. It seems that there might be a relation between running the A/C (which I normally keep off unless it's warm) and the unit locking up. Of course, it might only be the warm weather (and the A/C being on is just a coincidence.)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Unit was replaced yesterday. Only time will tell if the issue is resolved.

I'm certain there was some hardware replaced, as the bluetooth module had a different MAC (hardware) ID. (This indicates that the bluetooth radio is integrated with the display unit - instead of it being a separate module as is the case with some radios.)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I haven't had the lockup since my HU was replaced. However, I also haven't driven any distance in warmer weather since. (I've been waiting for a stretch of warmer weather before posting an update to this thread.)

Take care
Gary

·
Registered
68 Posts
I never had this problem until today, when I started using a USB memory stick loaded with mp3 and m4a files. I suspect some of the music files are corrupt. Not sure whether that's the issue, or if it doesn't like the USB stick, or something else??? When the screen freezes, it keeps playing the music, and I can even skip songs, adjust volume, etc. But now I know about the power button trick at least.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts