Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Entune Premium, Your Thoughts, please!

Hi,

In about a week or so I will be picking up my 2017 RAV4 Limited (non-hybrid). One of the features it has is the Entune Premium . . . of which I know nothing. I've read the comments of a few Toyota owners on different discussion forums and they have been very negative regarding the functionality of Entune, and yet, the PCMAG Website has only glowing things to say about it.

So what has been your experience with Entune. Good, bad, or what are your comments. I do not have a cell phone, iPhone, uPhone or any other kind of phone, for that matter, as there seems to be a connection between your phone and Entune.

I would really appreciate any opinions you may be willing to share. BTW, I am not knew to Toyota. I own a 2008 Tundra, which is the best vehicle I have ever owned!

FredSG

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
One thing for you to take note of for sure, especially since you have no cell phone, is that there is NO CD player in the limited trim. The bump up to 7" screen omits the cd player so anything that has that 7" screen won't have a CD player. I believe this applies to the platinum and se as well. For most this isn't an issue with bluetooth from phones and USB input etc, but it's something for you to be aware of.

I'm in Canada so we don't get all the fancy traffic, streaming etc. features. As far as audio quality goes it's fairly mediocre and I've heard even worse things about the jbl system.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Nodnerb,

I planned on using my Sirius subscription on the RAV4, where I live in Northern Maine gives me limited FM/AM stations . . . love my old country music and Sirius has it covered.

Are there any suggestions for an external CD player, just the same? Bluetooth connectivity? Or just a USB plug in type?

FredSG

·
Super Moderator
11,103 Posts
Sound to me that you're like me - just want a radio to be a radio. Not expecting all the fancy features today's younguns just gotta have. Besides just phone calls, they get all their music, radio stations, GPS and who knows how much social media garbagh on their phones. And they want to be surrounded by as much as possible of it in their cars. They'd never consider a car w/o bluetooth, the wireless system that lets them "pair" their ever-lovin' all-of-life phone to their car radio.

So to fit in the indispensable GPS video screen the rest of us lose our 6-slot CD player, not to mention our cassette player that they've probably never even heard of!

I don't I expect my RAV4's JBL radio to blast my ears out like a concert hall where the music is so loud you can't even hear it. It sounds just fine to me.

And I don't have Entune, I-want or whatever the latest "radio" is but do have to admit it would be nice to make hands free calls on my outsmart-me Galaxy S7 phone using my radio as the speaker.

So when you get your RAV4 you'll just have to ask them, "Okay, how do I just play the radio?"

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dr. Dyno,

Yeah Connecticut! Went to Southern BS & MS - even taught there as a teaching assistant.

You made some great observations, but what about the external portable CD player option . . . plug-in or Bluetooth types?

FredSG

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Nodnerb,

I planned on using my Sirius subscription on the RAV4, where I live in Northern Maine gives me limited FM/AM stations . . . love my old country music and Sirius has it covered.

Are there any suggestions for an external CD player, just the same? Bluetooth connectivity? Or just a USB plug in type?

FredSG
Congrats Fred. I think you will love your new RAV4 (I am on my 4th; currently driving a 2017 RAV4 Hybrid LImited).

I'd recommend just using a USB Flash drive for your own music. Just drag and drop MP3's to the flash drive, and plug it in the USB port under the radio. It'll take a while after you first plug it in to work - it goes through an indexing process where it pulls down album information and even artists pictures that display when the songs play. It's kinda cool and works well.

The main thing before you copy over your songs is to make sure the flash drive is not formatted as NTFS. Format it with your computer as FAT32, or have one of the Younguns do it for you. :wink

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Hi Nodnerb,

FredSG
There is bluetooth connectivity, but I've never tried it with anything but my phone. Not sure on an external cd player. There is an audio input jack (1/8" stereo jack) that should in theory work with a portable cd player or any music player with a headphone out for that matter.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Congrats Fred. I think you will love your new RAV4 (I am on my 4th; currently driving a 2017 RAV4 Hybrid LImited).

I'd recommend just using a USB Flash drive for your own music. Just drag and drop MP3's to the flash drive, and plug it in the USB port under the radio. It'll take a while after you first plug it in to work - it goes through an indexing process where it pulls down album information and even artists pictures that display when the songs play. It's kinda cool and works well.

The main thing before you copy over your songs is to make sure the flash drive is not formatted as NTFS. Format it with your computer as FAT32, or have one of the Younguns do it for you. :wink
And in addition to the above, I found out the hard way that it is difficult to get a drive larger than 32GB to work. I did eventually get my 64GB drive to work with 3rd party apps to format the drive, but if a drive 32GB or smaller will work, save yourself the trouble and do that because it should be as simple as Joeinalbany posted.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You guys are terrific . . . I really appreciate all the help . . . I started to "rip" my old country and western songs to a flash drive . . . no "Younguns" here to help!

So I assume my Entune Gizmo will automatically play the songs without needing any additional software or such?

FredSG

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,894 Posts
From the PCMag review:

Bluetooth is used by Entune to access streaming music from iHeartRadio, Pandora, and Slacker via a gateway Entune app on your iOS or Android smartphone. The system uses your smartphone's data plan rather than any built-in cellular radio for these features, which means you don't have to pay any additional subscription fees, like you do with BMW iDrive.

The system also includes apps for Open Table for restaurant reservations, MovieTickets.com for movie showtimes and ticket purchases, and Facebook Places for checking in at the various locations you drive to. Entune also includes apps for Yelp and Destination Search (both of which are are tied into the navigation system), a comprehensive Maintenance app, and additional generic apps for information on fueling stations, sports, stocks, traffic, and weather.

If you don't have a smart phone with a data plan, all the above is USELESS. At least you can still use HD Radio, XM Radio, USB port, AUX input, and Bluetooth.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You guys are terrific . . . I really appreciate all the help . . . I started to "rip" my old country and western songs to a flash drive . . . no "Younguns" here to help!

So I assume my Entune Gizmo will automatically play the songs without needing any additional software or such?

FredSG
Correct. As long as you supply a supported format (i.e. MP3) and format the flash drive to a supported file system (i.e. FAT32), you'll be fine.

Good luck and enjoy your new RAV.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Dr. Dyno,
Yeah Connecticut! Went to Southern BS & MS - even taught there as a teaching assistant.
You made some great observations, but what about the external portable CD player option . . . plug-in or Bluetooth types?
FredSG
1) Premium JBL will no have a CD player. No add-on. No external CD player will work.
2) Premium JBL is hard to replace to aftermarket since the wiring is different.
3) Premium radio has large screen, but same pixel resolution as non-premium.
4) JBL Premium with Sub will not sound as you expected. See other posts about JBL and subwoofer.
5) You must pay for NAV updates. NAV is poor. Better use Google Maps on your phone. You cannot get Google Map on Entune Radio.
6) No Mirrorlink, Android Auto or Apple Carplay.
7) USB will not play mp3 by Folders. This a very annoying issue.
8) CD can play by Folders.
10) If you turn off the car and turn it back on, the last song will loop. The latest Entune update fixed the issue partially. Still looping.
11) Voice commands will not recognize you voice in most cases. Very outdated technology.
12) XM do not work in Alaska, unless you camp on top of the McKinley Mt.
13) I tried the mp3 player/USB Adapter from eBay plugged to the CD-Changer port. Did not work.
14) I replaced mine 2016 Premium JBL with NAV radio to 2015 with JBL and CD (smaller screen) in order to play mp3 by Folders. Now I do not have a clock. I velcroed aftemarket clock on dash.
15) Gracenote will not show correct album picture. Shows random image. Makes me laugh sometimes.

I would skip Premium JBL Radio with NAV. Go with minimum and refuse to play for the radio in order get a discount. May work.

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
I would not pay extra for the JBL system. The sound is very inferior for the quality. I hear that this system is a couple of grand. Get a RAV with the cheapest system, have it removed at a shop and put in something better. You will end up with a 7' screen, better maps, better sound configuration controls, Apple or Android (or both!), more features and a much better user experience. I am planning to remove my head unit and putting in a new Pioneer, keeping the JBL amp and speakers and seeing how that works.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts