Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 recently inherited RAV4 had entune 2.2.0 on it, and I wanted to update it. Could not figure out how to do it. Could not even do it with a USB stick. I called Entune tech people and spent an hour or so on the phone, and they could not figure it out, so they sent me to the dealer. After the dealer did the update to 5.2, I was told that only the dealer can do it. It can't be done using your phone (which a service writer at Toyota told me). The tech support people never mentioned it. Anyway, I was charged $40. I won't be updating again for some time. I noticed very little difference in the screens between the old and the new versions. Now I find that my phone is too old to use it. I have to get a more current phone.:frown

·
Registered
268 Posts
Bummer.

It has been a while but I was able to download and install an update to my 2013 RAV4. I think they would have done it under warranty for free if you were still under warranty.

I have an extended warranty on my vehicle but I'll be curious if they try to charge me for future updates.

Toyota's Entune system is adequate but hardly worth it. So many other brands have gone so much farther to improve their systems and integrate Apple CarPlay and Android Auto - Toyota firmly states they will not support either of these systems. If they don't get their crap together this RAV4 will be my only Toyota vehicle.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I have a CPO car with Platinum package. From what I was told, the software is not covered. The trouble with my car (just inherited) is that it is a 2013, with just 6100 miles, and the original warranty is now out of time. I was surprised that it was only $40.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Agreed, $40 seems very fair.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got off the phone with Toyota and wanted to tell them of my experience upgrading the Entune app suite. Apparently, I needed to go to the dealer because my version of Entune 2.2 (from 2013) was old enough that it was not possible to update from the phone. The newer models/versions have made the minor updates possible though the phone, but a major update like mine needed to be dealer applied. The CSR was very nice and had to check with a tech to find this out. The CSR's at Entune did not even know this and I was the guinea pig. I am sure it does not happen very much. My car, that I just inherited, was purchased in 2013 and rarely driven (only 6100 miles on it now) and my mother in law never would have used the Entune apps. Anyway, for future reference, if you have an old and very out of version Entune, it would be best to go to the dealer. The invoice shows it only took about 1/2 hour and I was charged $40. The new map version is due in about a month. As it will not include inter-galactic maps and star charts I will not be doing that.

The CSR seemed to be attentive to my requests, had to do some research, but was able to provide me with the solution or answer to this particular problem.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm not convinced that you can ever update from the Entune app on a 2013 head unit.

I have updated several vehicles when I connect my phone to them - 2015 and 2016 models I was test driving or my spouse's 2015 Camry.

My 2013 has never updated via the Entune app. At least not that I'm aware of. It is very obvious when the newer head units are updating. I cannot believe that my 2013 head unit would be updated behind the scenes when it is so obvious with the others.

Heck, I don't believe the Entune app on my phone even connects to my unit when my phone connects via BT. It only does it when I open an app that needs Entune to function, which I rarely do.

·
Registered
268 Posts
It's installing right now. Will update after it's done.

·
Registered
268 Posts
That went well. Haven't had a chance to play with it much.

Doesn't seem to connect to my phone any quicker than it did before :(

There's a pictures option under apps that was grayed out - probably because I didn't have my USB drive in. I'll have to throw some photos on there and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
Is this for 2013 with Nav?

Dunno, it looks like the same unit as in my wife's 2015 Prius tho, I didn't update it since it works fine for her, I'm not fixing something that ain't broke. :smile

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There's an update to 5.2 for the display audio with nav if anyone has that head unit.

https://securedp.toyota.com/download-app/toyota
I could not get this to work. I had a very hard time downloading the files. In fact, it does not work with FireFox. It was suggested that I use IE and it did work to download the file. (No error messages or on-line suggestions that the download works 'better' with IE. I ended up with the proper format for the file (.iso). However, upon following the instructions, my radio would not recognize the USB. Even Entune support could not help, although they did suggest IE.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's installing right now. Will update after it's done.
Zooks:

Are you updating from a phone? What version are you updating from? It was explained to me that because I was going from such an old version (2.2) to 5.2 it was too much of a version jump. Perhaps if the Entune was updated along the way, I would have been able to update from say 2.2 to 2.7 to 3.5 to 4, to 5.2 (numbers are made up).

·
Registered
268 Posts
Zooks:

Are you updating from a phone? What version are you updating from? It was explained to me that because I was going from such an old version (2.2) to 5.2 it was too much of a version jump. Perhaps if the Entune was updated along the way, I would have been able to update from say 2.2 to 2.7 to 3.5 to 4, to 5.2 (numbers are made up).
I update via a download from Edge, Chrome wouldn't work. I loaded the file onto a USB drive and installed it that way. I updated from 5.1 to 5.2.

I would recommend updating even if 'everything is working fine'. You never what updates happened behind the scenes that make it worth it even if nothing appears to be changed visibly.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
I could not get this to work. I had a very hard time downloading the files. In fact, it does not work with FireFox. It was suggested that I use IE and it did work to download the file. (No error messages or on-line suggestions that the download works 'better' with IE. I ended up with the proper format for the file (.iso). However, upon following the instructions, my radio would not recognize the USB. Even Entune support could not help, although they did suggest IE.

I'd try a different USB stick, has to be formatted FAT32, most everyone here that did the 2015 update by USB had no problems, USB sticks were the issue for those that had problems, I bought a new stick specifically just for updates, it doesn't get used for anything else, worked fine on my wife's 2015 Prius and my 2015 Limited last year.

·
Registered
268 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
I haven't received one this year yet either, but did last year for both vehicle, maybe because they roll them out in layers so their servers aren't overloaded.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Zooks:

Also, just so you know, you should be able to go from any where along the release line to the most current release.

I'm pretty sure I went from 2.2 to 3.2 to 5.1 and now to 5.2. I don't think there are as many releases as you think there were.

The 2013 JBL with Nav that I have requires the update to be delivered by USB drive. There's no over the air updating like newer units have. I wish it did because that would be so much easier.

I found the email for last year's update so maybe I'll get an email for this one soon.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts