Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found that the EPA miles per gallon ratings for my '01 2.0 Liter RAV4 to be pretty accurate (taking into account that we have winter gas in NJ).
The estimates were 23-27 (AWD, auto trans), and I've typically gotten 28 while driving all day on the interstate.

Can anyone tell me if the estimates for the 2.4 Liter with auto trans and AWD are ballpark close?

Thanks.
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I believe they are accurate and I've gotten above 30 mpg many times on the highway in the summer months.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
ejpede said:
I have found that the EPA miles per gallon ratings for my '01 2.0 Liter RAV4 to be pretty accurate (taking into account that we have winter gas in NJ).
The estimates were 23-27 (AWD, auto trans), and I've typically gotten 28 while driving all day on the interstate.

Can anyone tell me if the estimates for the 2.4 Liter with auto trans and AWD are ballpark close?

Thanks.
I've got a 2005 S and would agree whole-heartedly that they're right on the ballpark. I did notice a severe drop in mileage on the last tank, but I can't help to wonder whether that's because we just did the southern "season change" (here we basically go from 80 degrees one day, then 30 degrees the next with very little in between).

As soon as it got cold, my mileage went from 27.8 avg to 24.5. I know exactly because the last fillup, I needed exactly 10.00 gallons to top off (I try not to go below 1/4 tank).

To answer your question with a question, is the RAV4 *that* sensitive to climate change?

Wayne
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,420 Posts
Wayne said:
ejpede said:
I have found that the EPA miles per gallon ratings for my '01 2.0 Liter RAV4 to be pretty accurate (taking into account that we have winter gas in NJ).
The estimates were 23-27 (AWD, auto trans), and I've typically gotten 28 while driving all day on the interstate.

Can anyone tell me if the estimates for the 2.4 Liter with auto trans and AWD are ballpark close?

Thanks.
I've got a 2005 S and would agree whole-heartedly that they're right on the ballpark. I did notice a severe drop in mileage on the last tank, but I can't help to wonder whether that's because we just did the southern "season change" (here we basically go from 80 degrees one day, then 30 degrees the next with very little in between).

As soon as it got cold, my mileage went from 27.8 avg to 24.5. I know exactly because the last fillup, I needed exactly 10.00 gallons to top off (I try not to go below 1/4 tank).

To answer your question with a question, is the RAV4 *that* sensitive to climate change?

Wayne
Wayne, could that mileage drop be attributed to the seasonal change to winter or oxygenated fuel? Some/most states have a date when they make a mandatory switch. Oxygenated fuel produces less power. I forget the technical explanation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
RAV4Don said:
Wayne, could that mileage drop be attributed to the seasonal change to winter or oxygenated fuel? Some/most states have a date when they make a mandatory switch. Oxygenated fuel produces less power. I forget the technical explanation.
Hi Don,

Honestly, you're one up on me. I didn't know there was a difference in fuel. Had never heard the term "oxygenated fuel" before... Care to elaborate a bit?

Wayne
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,420 Posts
Wayne said:
RAV4Don said:
Wayne, could that mileage drop be attributed to the seasonal change to winter or oxygenated fuel? Some/most states have a date when they make a mandatory switch. Oxygenated fuel produces less power. I forget the technical explanation.
Hi Don,

Honestly, you're one up on me. I didn't know there was a difference in fuel. Had never heard the term "oxygenated fuel" before... Care to elaborate a bit?

Wayne
Wayne. I am not that knowledgeable about the US state/federal requirements but there is different fuel made based on seasons. I am unable to can give a good explanation of oxygenated fuels other than they produce less emissons at the cost of reduced power. I can't provide the technical explanation. Maybe someone else can jump in here and do so.

For example when BP/Amocco advertises claims about more environmentally safe fuels that they use, they are referring to the use of oxygenated fuels (and perhaps some other tricks) that work, but the cost is almost always reduced potential power. These blends change according to seasonal mixes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fuelin' around

NJ (and other Northeast states) requires winter gas, a different blend, because something about the cold weather increases negative impact of auto emissions on the environment. I think winter gas is another name for oxygenated fuel.

I think it used to be that the fuel sellers had to switch blends from Nov 1 to April 1, or some such dates. Not sure if that has changed.

Also, in order to meet these requirements, the additive of choice was MTBE. Then they found it showing up in the groundwater. Not sure if it has been outlawed.

I do know winter gas costs me about 2 mpg with my 2.0 Liter RAV.

Thanks everyone for the replies to my mileage question.

RAV on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
685 Posts
Keep in mind the different size of the US gallon and the Imperial gallon used in England, Canada, etc.....
When I quote mpg it's the 4.55 litre gallon.......Imperial.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Hello guys
Regarding the question "is the RAV4" that sensitive, I think all cars are, and since I am in Canada I have noticed a serious change in mpg with the seasonal changes. Now, here the difference is brutal. But I also agree with the opinion that is also, to some extend, the result of more antifreezing additives in the mix. But keep in mind that the colder the intake air, the worst the mixture that gets into the cylinder and worst explosions equal less power.
 
K

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I just got back from a 180 mile trip on freeway going between 68-70 with temps in high 30s to low 40s. Had an OBD cable connected to a laptop to read MPG and other parameters. OBD shows a solid 30.5 MPG for the trip. Pretty pleased.
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I noticed no CAli's have posted yet, and I'm not sure if it's California's added smog cert (added emission controls) or just my driving style but I typicaly see between 21-24MPG. That is a mix of city/highway. I've never seen over 24MPG (for me personally)

2WD Auto, 2.4L.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,420 Posts
RavMann05 said:
I noticed no CAli's have posted yet, and I'm not sure if it's California's added smog cert (added emission controls) or just my driving style but I typicaly see between 21-24MPG. That is a mix of city/highway. I've never seen over 24MPG (for me personally)

2WD Auto, 2.4L.
That is a bit disappointing. Is there anything to your driving habits or area that could help expalin this mileage? I only checked mine once before the engine was broke in with about 2k miles and I got 31.5 of mostly (70mph) highway driving. I was encouraged with the results.
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Other than additives in the fuel, it makes sense when it gets colder you will burn more fuel. It takes longer for the engine to warm up thereby not operating at peak efficiency(unless you plug it in). Also, driving threw snow, ice, slush etc burns more fuel as it takes more power to drive on or threw it. And of course, when it gets colder, your tire PSI drop(unless you top it up) and you will use up more fuel.

Your drivetrain fluids need time to warm up so they will have some resistance when first driving out until they warm up so again use more fuel.

Though in the cases above I am talking when its cold(below 0) or a huge drop in temp more than 10+ degrees. Otherwise you shouldnt notice much difference for only a few degrees either way.

My MPG drop about 3-5(usually I get about 24 or so in mixed driving), in the winter(below -5C) I get around 19-21 more or less.

This is just what I have noticed.
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
RAV4Don said:
RavMann05 said:
I noticed no CAli's have posted yet, and I'm not sure if it's California's added smog cert (added emission controls) or just my driving style but I typicaly see between 21-24MPG. That is a mix of city/highway. I've never seen over 24MPG (for me personally)

2WD Auto, 2.4L.
That is a bit disappointing. Is there anything to your driving habits or area that could help expalin this mileage? I only checked mine once before the engine was broke in with about 2k miles and I got 31.5 of mostly (70mph) highway driving. I was encouraged with the results.
I don't exactly gun it when I come off a light, but I do accelerate probably a little more aggressively than most drivers. I do a lot of mix driving. When I 'm on the freeways my speeds will vary from 72-85+mph. No doubt anything over 80 isn't helping mileage. I don't always drive aggressively, but if I'm in a hurry I do. Even when I "drive soft for tank" I usually just top out at 24Mph. I specefically got a 2WD with the thought that it would help me get a little bit better mileage (that and the Bay Area doesn't really see any extreme weather).

Even when I took a 170 Mile trip the mileage was about 24Mph, and that was all freeway driving at about 78mph. I dunno... Make me wonder if Cali's CARB equipment is making a difference.

I also hoping my new Weapon R intake might help by a mile/gallon or two. We'll see.

Edit:
I should also note that California's formulation is different than the rest of the US. Which is why we also tend to pay a little more (on average) than most other states. So it could be a few factors affecting CA vehicles, but then again I haven't seen any other CA Rav owners post. So I dunno.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,420 Posts
RavMann05 said:
RAV4Don said:
RavMann05 said:
I noticed no CAli's have posted yet, and I'm not sure if it's California's added smog cert (added emission controls) or just my driving style but I typicaly see between 21-24MPG. That is a mix of city/highway. I've never seen over 24MPG (for me personally)

2WD Auto, 2.4L.
That is a bit disappointing. Is there anything to your driving habits or area that could help expalin this mileage? I only checked mine once before the engine was broke in with about 2k miles and I got 31.5 of mostly (70mph) highway driving. I was encouraged with the results.
I dunno... Make me wonder if Cali's CARB equipment is making a difference.

I also hoping my new Weapon R intake might help by a mile/gallon or two. We'll see.

Edit:
I should also note that California's formulation is different than the rest of the US. Which is why we also tend to pay a little more (on average) than most other states. So it could be a few factors affecting CA vehicles, but then again I haven't seen any other CA RAV owners post. So I dunno.
You may be correct about the gas reformulation, that I believe includes oxygenation that will reduce power, contributes to poorer mileage. Adding 10% corn grain alcohol (ethanol) to gasoline as is done in many states (ie. IL, IA) also reduces the effective power, despite increasing the octane! BTW, this is a great example of why increasing the octane of fuel may not add HP (to an engine that doesn't need it) and may actually reduce fuel economy. :shock: SO you might ask, why do they do it? The answer is lower cost that dnio fuel and it burns cleaner!

I don't want to burst your bubble of hope but I doubt any type of aftermarket intake will provide improved fuel economy despite advertiser's claims otherwise.
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
RAV4Don said:
RavMann05 said:
RAV4Don said:
RavMann05 said:
I noticed no CAli's have posted yet, and I'm not sure if it's California's added smog cert (added emission controls) or just my driving style but I typicaly see between 21-24MPG. That is a mix of city/highway. I've never seen over 24MPG (for me personally)

2WD Auto, 2.4L.
That is a bit disappointing. Is there anything to your driving habits or area that could help expalin this mileage? I only checked mine once before the engine was broke in with about 2k miles and I got 31.5 of mostly (70mph) highway driving. I was encouraged with the results.
I dunno... Make me wonder if Cali's CARB equipment is making a difference.

I also hoping my new Weapon R intake might help by a mile/gallon or two. We'll see.

Edit:
I should also note that California's formulation is different than the rest of the US. Which is why we also tend to pay a little more (on average) than most other states. So it could be a few factors affecting CA vehicles, but then again I haven't seen any other CA RAV owners post. So I dunno.
You may be correct about the gas reformulation, that I believe includes oxygenation that will reduce power, contributes to poorer mileage. Adding 10% corn grain alcohol (ethanol) to gasoline as is done in many states (ie. IL, IA) also reduces the effective power, despite increasing the octane! BTW, this is a great example of why increasing the octane of fuel may not add HP (to an engine that doesn't need it) and may actually reduce fuel economy. :shock: SO you might ask, why do they do it? The answer is lower cost that dnio fuel and it burns cleaner!

I don't want to burst your bubble of hope but I doubt any type of aftermarket intake will provide improved fuel economy despite advertiser's claims otherwise.
Yeah not getting my hopes up too high about aftermarket stuff improving the mileage... I'd just be curious to know what other Cali Rav owners mileage looks like.

Cheers.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top