Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
W

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I purchased the exact configuration (V6, base, color and options) minus the AWD in NJ for 23,750. Prices seem comparable with a slight edge in your favor since AW is worth a thousand or less. Funny, how when you find (after some difficulty) the color and configuration you want, you are going to be pretty much stuck with whatever silly options it shows up with. When I added up the total cost of the roof rails, covers, nets and carpets (+$800) and realized how easily I could live w/o all of them, and would have much preferred to use the money on an upgraded sound system (which the base model could sorely use).

Very nicely written review, btw. I think we all cross shopped the same vehicles and came to the same conclusion. I do regret however, having to buy before seeing the new CRV and Acura RDX this summer. They will be (though the RDX is in another price category altogether) more worthy competition than anything out there now, and will drive these prices we paid way down.
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I notice they are showing a photo of the 4.2...that kinda stinks! They should showed the correct car for the review!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
379 Posts
Not exactly an Epinions review, but good stuff just the same. Cars.com listed the top 10 most popular cars, the 06 RAV4 was #2 on the list. Toyota had six out of those 10 spots. Surprising Lexus didn't get any listing, must be something to do with the price.
 
K

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
woody said:
Funny, how when you find (after some difficulty) the color and configuration you want, you are going to be pretty much stuck with whatever silly options it shows up with. When I added up the total cost of the roof rails, covers, nets and carpets (+$800) and realized how easily I could live w/o all of them, and would have much preferred to use the money on an upgraded sound system (which the base model could sorely use).
When researching, I came across the same issue with other Toyota vehicles and Lexus too. It seems that they push the options onto you, whether you want them or not.

My option combo was actually the only one available in 4WD with side/curtain airbags. At least I wanted most of the stuff. BTW, cargo net is pretty handy. I just installed it and there are no more sloshing grocery bags in the cargo area.
 
W

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with the usefulness of the net. I have the poles in adjacent holes to create the narrow basket-ideal for holding the ubiquitous plastic grocery bags. (Btw, manual says the net can hold twenty lbs.-an impressive capacity). There's still plenty of room to slide stuff under it, so it can be permanent and out of the way. Thinking I may never use the tonneau cover though, which is stored in its hiding place. Not living in a big city, or having anything valuable to cover on a regular basis, it will see little if any use. Plus the privacy glass is almost impossible to see through anyway.
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
woody said:
I agree with the usefulness of the net. I have the poles in adjacent holes to create the narrow basket-ideal for holding the ubiquitous plastic grocery bags. (Btw, manual says the net can hold twenty lbs.-an impressive capacity). There's still plenty of room to slide stuff under it, so it can be permanent and out of the way. Thinking I may never use the tonneau cover though, which is stored in its hiding place. Not living in a big city, or having anything valuable to cover on a regular basis, it will see little if any use. Plus the privacy glass is almost impossible to see through anyway.
Hmmm...I also have the net set up the way you do (I also have the other cargo net, which I haven't used yet). But...I'm able to use the tonneau cover at the same time.

I like using the net this way. Like you said...for small grocery bags...as well as other things such as bottles of wine (now they won't roll around!)...and, even any other small items that may normally roll around!

I love my new RAV! LOL!
 
K

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RAVishing said:
Hmmm...I also have the net set up the way you do (I also have the other cargo net, which I haven't used yet).
What "other cargo net"?
 
W

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had the same question. Also wondered if it's really possible to use the net and tonneau cover simultaneously. Most configurations would have them in each other's way. Then there is one configuration of the net shown in the manual that seems to show it hung from those mysterious covered little cut outs on the side edges of the rear ceiling that uses (or shows rather lengthy) straps (I think for the bottom part of the attachment) which I do not have. No such straps with my net package.
 
K

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
woody said:
I had the same question. Also wondered if it's really possible to use the net and tonneau cover simultaneously. Most configurations would have them in each other's way.
Hmm, I have no problem using them together. It's true that you have open the tonneau cover to access what's in the net. Or you can pull out small / flexible items from under the cover with the cover still closed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
Excellent review!

I am one of the leads in the autos section at Epinions, and I fear my three star rating is dragging the average down.

My review: http://www.epinions.com/content_217443176068


Two reasons for my rating:

1. I consider three stars to be the average, so that most vehicles I rate should get three stars; I don't do grade inflation. It's not a bad rating by any means.

2. I drove the four-cylinder without the third row, so the vehicle didn't have either of the two big new features. I'd likely give the three-row V6 at least four stars. I hope to drive one soon.

The photo drives me nuts, too. Unfortunately I have no control over it.

If you've ever wanted to write an auto review, Epinions is a great place to start. Unlike in a forum your review won't get buried within a day or two, and you get daily updates of how many people read your review.
 
K

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mkaresh said:
2. I drove the four-cylinder without the third row, so the vehicle didn't have either of the two big new features. I'd likely give the three-row V6 at least four stars. I hope to drive one soon.
I hope you get to drive the V6 soon. They should be more available now – not sure why your review said summer. V6 is really quite nice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
I drove the V6 yesterday. Makes a big difference. I haven't written up my impressions yet, probably tomorrow.

Now the dealer is telling me that the third row isn't being offered in my region. This might be incorrect, but based on what I've read in this forum it wouldn't surprise me. Odd, though.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,559 Posts
mkaresh said:
The review said summer because the dealer insisted they would not arrive sooner, even when I pressed him. I'll update it anyway once I drive the V6. Maybe next week.
First of all, welcome our forums! I didn't notice your entrance until I saw your handle attached to this thread.

And, I'm not sure what kind of dealers you have locally, but people have been buying V6 RAV's at least since February. I myself bought one the first Friday in March.

I'm glad the V6 experience improved your opinion! 8)
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top