Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ran some errands, went to start car ('13 Ltd) when I stepped on brake before pressing "start" noticed brake pedal was hard as a rock where normally it would "give" a little, sort of spongy like. Car would not start and I thought I heard some faint clicking noise. Checked to make sure shifter in "P", tried again, same story several times. Tried hitting "start" without foot on brake and car cycled thru accessory modes ok. Let it sit for a few minutes, tried again and all was ok. Any one have similar experience or ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
yes.. it happen when you press the brake few times after your engine is off. The brake will very hard, For me, every time I just press the brake little harder, I can start the car without a issue. Most of the time if you able to go on Accessory Mode, the brake will go soft again. I can start it without a issue too..

·
Registered
210 Posts
I believe that the brake pedal needs to be depressed a given amount to close the start interlock circuit. If the pedal is hard to depress that would indicate low vacuum in the power booster due to a leak or operating the brake pedal a few times without the engine running. It can also happen if the car has sat unused for a very long time.

Frank 2015 Rav4 XLE with 7600+ miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having the same problem right now and I had my car towed to the dealership and they told me that it could be a battery or charging issue so they boosted the battery and nothing happened at first then eventually it started. Then they run the diagnostics for the battery and charging and it passed with flying colors then I took the car back after an hour and it was working then. I got home which is only a 5 minute drive from the dealership and I tried restarting the car and the same thing happened again. It seems to start when I press on the brakes all the way down however it is not consistent. I called the dealership to tell them that I would monitor the car for a few days and that I would return it to them if the issue still exist. Yesterday after work my car won't start again then eventually it did but the I couldn't get it out of Park so I had to pry out the cover for the shift lock to get it to Drive, then I drove straight to the dealership and when I got there they couldn't even start the car again. They gave me a rental because they are not sure what is going on and how long will it take them to fix it. I am still waiting for them to call me and I will let you guys know once I hear back from the dealership.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update

A few days after my "episode" my car was due for annual inspection and I explained to the service advisor what had happened. Once the car was checked out I was told that they could not duplicate the "episode", and no error codes showed up, but as was mentioned by Qubeley in a previous post, the service advisor stated that if the brake pedal is depressed several times before starting the car (which I did not do), an episode such as I experienced could happen. So in summary, it remains a mystery as to what happened. To 4wdrayb; which yr & mdl Rav do you have; hope you get some explanation and a fix for your car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A few days after my "episode" my car was due for annual inspection and I explained to the service advisor what had happened. Once the car was checked out I was told that they could not duplicate the "episode", and no error codes showed up, but as was mentioned by Qubeley in a previous post, the service advisor stated that if the brake pedal is depressed several times before starting the car (which I did not do), an episode such as I experienced could happen. So in summary, it remains a mystery as to what happened. To 4wdrayb; which yr & mdl Rav do you have; hope you get some explanation and a fix for your car.

I got my car back yesterday and the dealer replaced the brake light switch which according to them is the faulty piece that's causing the car to not start. I will post some updates if this fix is good or not.

2013 Toyota Rav4 Limited no Navi

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have had the exact same experience twice. Have forgotten to mention to dealership as it hasn't happen again for several months. Bothersome to think of my wife getting stuck somewhere; she has no patience with mechanical things. Just starts cussing and asking what did I to her car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts