Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced my struts in August, shop didn't do alignments and the place they usually recommended for that kind of work wasn't performing up to par as of late, so I decided to take it to another shop (large, successful, in business many years, have had work done there before and been happy). Got the alignment, they made no reference to not being able to adjust the rear (the recall had already been done), I paid for the work and went on my way.

Fast forward to today, at the dealership for a transmission drain & fill, tech shows me that both arms are broken, asks me if anyone's worked on the car recently. I said yes, struts and alignment a few months ago. I have the records from the alignment (specs before/after) showing the rears WERE in fact adjusted.

So now I'm expecting the shop to tell me "they were already broken" before the alignment. We'll see what they say.

My question: what is everyone with a 4.3 doing regarding this problem? Getting the fix, then never getting another rear alignment?

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Well you already know the rear is epoxied so that should have been communicated but the shop did not say anything. The shop forced the epoxy open to adjust the rear but you should have asked them if they touch the rear control arm. In any case the parts looks to be damaged and may be compromised. You don't have to get Toyota parts and many have used aftermarket parts for replacement since it is much cheaper. Go back to the alignment shop to have them explain what they did.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Parts are getting replaced, already ordered, I'm not taking any chances. Only issue is if the shop will own up to adjusting the non-adjustable rears, which I have proof they did, from their own system. We will see. They have a good reputation, I'm hoping for a positive outcome.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Given that it is a pain in the butt to align the wheel I would not do the epoxy again. I would just ensure the parts gets plenty of grease to prevent rusting.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am sure the dealership will epoxy them ... and add new stickers. ;-) I'm just wondering how much out of alignment the wheels may get in the future, since they won't be able to be aligned again.

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Also suggest making certain that the new arms are not epoxied in place, regardless. Otherwise the same problem will recur in a subsequent alignment, or the alignment will not include the rear.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whoa, I'm confused. I thought they had to be epoxied? No?

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Whoa, I'm confused. I thought they had to be epoxied? No?
The whole point of the epoxy is that these parts do not rust out and break apart causing an accident. So Toyota solution is just epoxy them so they can not come apart. But this means you can not align the rear wheels since the adjustment (thread part that is in the middle) is prevented by the epoxy. If you just grease them heavily this will prevent rust and allow you to adjust the control arm if you need another alignment. If the control arms are epoxied you need to remove them and throw them away and get new ones so you can make adjustments for alignment.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AHHHHH!!! MUCH BETTER!!! This car is garaged and I maintain it fanatically, there's no way they'll rust, I'll grease them myself every 6 months if I have to. But the dealership won't balk at this? They won't insist on epoxying?

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
AHHHHH!!! MUCH BETTER!!! This car is garaged and I maintain it fanatically, there's no way they'll rust, I'll grease them myself every 6 months if I have to. But the dealership won't balk at this? They won't insist on epoxying?
The thing is that you can't grease it on the inside of the knuckle every 6 months since that will change the alignment! Just grease it only once with say anti-seize grease that will not wash off even if water makes contact. The alignment shop should should do the greasing. In the knuckle there are threads inside and the adjustment is made turning the knuckle and tighten down with the two locking nuts. The control arm is held by a bolt on one side and the threaded end with a castle nut. So when the knuckle is expoxied you can't move it to make adjustment. Hope that clears it up.

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, thanks - excellent explanation and graphic. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The dealership has to epoxy a replacement for liability reasons because someones 15 yr old vehicle had rusted control arms apparently. In most cases this would never happen to most vehicles. I needed an alignment after the stupid epoxy fix (which i wasn't aware of at the time they did it, my bad) and decided to buy the dealership parts at a campaign discount , installed them myself (easy) and have it aligned .....problem solved! I can now have it aligned when ever I needed to.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
The dealership has to epoxy a replacement for liability reasons because someones 15 yr old vehicle had rusted control arms apparently. In most cases this would never happen to most vehicles. I needed an alignment after the stupid epoxy fix (which i wasn't aware of at the time they did it, my bad) and decided to buy the dealership parts at a campaign discount , installed them myself (easy) and have it aligned .....problem solved! I can now have it aligned when ever I needed to.
Kevcules46, did you put grease on the control arm and how does it look like now?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Kevcules46, did you put grease on the control arm and how does it look like now?
I did lubricate the arm as much as I could before I installed them and I undercoat my vehicles every year ,so it gets a good soaking of drip less undercoating annually. All looks good.

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,511 Posts
NONSENSE!! My dealership would bug me to get this epoxy fix done every time I would take it in for an oil change. I refused every time. Last time I told them to quit asking me, and they put that in the service record. The dealership is under no obligation to do this recall due to liability. My RAV4 lives in South Louisiana, where there is no such thing as road salt, which is what caused the rust in the first place. I saw this band-aid fix as a joke when it first came out and in 2012 they finally re-designed the arms but the new design can't be retrofitted. Back in February I got new tires and had a 4-wheel alignment, and my shop had zero problems doing the work.

·
Registered
289 Posts
NONSENSE!! My dealership would bug me to get this epoxy fix done every time I would take it in for an oil change. I refused every time. Last time I told them to quit asking me, and they put that in the service record. The dealership is under no obligation to do this recall due to liability. My RAV4 lives in South Louisiana, where there is no such thing as road salt, which is what caused the rust in the first place. I saw this band-aid fix as a joke when it first came out and in 2012 they finally re-designed the arms but the new design can't be retrofitted. Back in February I got new tires and had a 4-wheel alignment, and my shop had zero problems doing the work.
Exactly! I also will never get this recall done. I live in FL and there is no road salt. In fact it is unlikely I'll ever get any more recalls done after getting the gas peddle changed out. It made acceleration so sensitive that it is more dangerous IMHO when you are in stop and go traffic. These were pretty well made vehicles from the start. If they had made a recall to protect the EVAP canister I would get it done since a rock went through mine (has the shield that covers about 3/4 of it).

·
Registered
201 Posts
I was told about the liability from the dealership when I asked them to NOT USE EPOXY when replacing my control arms the second time. They said they had no choice. Since they weren't going to do it without epoxy, they said they could sell me the parts at the campaign price (about half the cost) and I installed them myself. I'm not defending the dealership, but how do they know that a vehicle in Florida won't be sold to salt ridden area like Canada?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts