Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, when I go to start my rav4 it starts up normally but as soon as the engine turns over .. the revs go REALLY low.. and it almost stalls out on me.. but if i take it for a drive, it goes away... what could be causing this?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Good question....I've benn chasing down this problem also. I had replaced the coolant temp sensor and thought that it cleared that condition up................nope...........it went back to the low idle at cold start problem.

This past weekend I replaced the 02 sensor and although it cleaned up my lean fuel condition..........I again had a low rpm cold start problem this morning.

I've also cleaned out the TB and AIC valve.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
could it be bad spark plug wires? or spark plugs? if so that would be an easy fix

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey,

I had a similar problem, but my RAV would completely stall. This usually happened on a really cold day when I had less than 1/4 of gas in the tank. Found out that this was caused due to the fuel line freezing due to moisture in the gas tank. Two ways you can eliminate the low RPMs or a complete stall is keep your gas over a 1/4 at all times during the winter or add an additive in your gas tank at every fill up, it's somethign along he lines of Fuel line antifreeze (sorry can't remeber the exact name) but there's a few brands out there. Hope this helps.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The brand Seafoam (actually meant for boat motors) works wonders in a car engine for this sort of thing, as does Heat (or maybe it's Heet). Heat's meant for cars, but Seafoam's also intended to work in cars by the manufacturer. The primary difference is that Seafoam seems to get rid of moisture better.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The girlfriend just left and it appears the RAV started right up this morning without having to feather the gas peddle to keep it from stalling.

I ran seafoam through the car this weekend , so I'll give it some time and see how that works.

1/3 can through brake booster vacuum line
1/3 can in crankcase
1/3 can in gas tank.

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Good possibilites the throttle body needs cleaning.... I have yet to fix mine... I have similar issues, upon after driving for a while, and then upon restarting the RAV, idle will be low unless I tap the gas pedal, then it returns to normal... My local mechanic suggested having the throttlebody cleaned... I will get to it sometime soon.... :p

Let us know what you find out... 8)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts