Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i had this error code after a check engine light popped up seemingly out of nowhere. Engine seemed to be running fine. I took it to a garage and they said most likely spark plugs. We had a look and the rav had 4 mismatched spark plugs in so i changed them to see if that was the problem. About 250 miles later check engine light again, same code. I was in a different town and the engine appeared to be running fine, so i went to a garage and just cancelled the light. No problems since but im just waiting for the check engine light to show its ugly face once more. Any suggestions as to what could be the problem?

·
Registered
14 Posts
P0301 is a cylinder 1 misfire, I believe. If you've replaced the plugs, the coil pack on #1 would be next, I think.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You can't tell that they are not working correctly by looking at them. You just buy a coil pack and replace the one indicated by the error code. You could also switch one with another and see if the error code changes. It could also be that the coil pack fails more when the engine is hot, rather than cold. I'd try exchanging #1 with #2 and see if that changes the error code to coil pack 2. Then you would know for sure it was the coil pack. And if it is truly defective, I'd replace all four.

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
You can't tell that they are not working correctly by looking at them. You just buy a coil pack and replace the one indicated by the error code. You could also switch one with another and see if the error code changes. It could also be that the coil pack fails more when the engine is hot, rather than cold. I'd try exchanging #1 with #2 and see if that changes the error code to coil pack 2. Then you would know for sure it was the coil pack. And if it is truly defective, I'd replace all four.
My thoughts exactly, and just what I did on my "bad-coil" '06 V6.
The coils are probably pretty cheap on eBay (and expensive at Toyota). So if the 1-2 test does say one is bad I'd replace all four and have three spares.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts