Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '06 base 4cy w/ 4wd 127k miles that's not in the best cosmetic shape but I try my best to keep up with it mechanically. I finally have a garage to do proper work, instead of laying in the street. It's hitting that point where a lot of stuff goes out at once and I'm keeping on top of it but want to know what you keep around as spares and what essential preventive maintenance needs to be done to prevent a bigger repair. I've recently replaced a faulty alternator and the belt while I was at it, plugs, brake pads, the rear bumper metal piece because someone hit me and took off, and had toyota do an engine flush. oil and air filters I do on a regular basis.

·
Registered
30 Posts
In my garage I keep extra oil,coolant,extra lug nuts, and an upper radiator hose (since the OEM ones break easily at the top where the hose splits into two) seeing how you are at 120k have you changed your coolant? also look at your brake fluid see if it's dirty. And you should also check the transmission fluid even though the dipstick says "lifetime" you should flush the system before its too late. And if it's too late to flush just drain, replace the transmission filter and fill. Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm looking into disposal laws where I am before I flush coolant. Brake fluid looks ok, transmission I haven't. What do you mean by too late to flush on that?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Transmission fluid is red when new and wears out over time, if your fluid is brown you can flush the system without worrying about damaging the transmission. If you have black or burnt smelling transmission fluid you shouldn't flush the system because you might clean up clots that kept the transmission together. You should watch this video by Chrisfix he goes into great detail on every video: ? Can Changing your Transmission Fluid Cause Damage? - YouTube

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info! Trans fluid looks to be in between replace and damaged. I'll consult a few shops to see what they think but I'm thinking it's too far for a flush. May just drain and replace the filter sometime soon.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for the info! Trans fluid looks to be in between replace and damaged. I'll consult a few shops to see what they think but I'm thinking it's too far for a flush. May just drain and replace the filter sometime soon.
Sounds like a good plan I would order my transmission filter from online because the AutoZone one I got was made out of plastic and the OEM filter was made out of metal. Also how r-heap said you should also keep a multimeter and an obd reader. I got my multimeter free at harbor freight and it works fine, not losing anything if it breaks. Best of luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I shop at O'reilly, but I'll check to see if it's metal or plastic before I get one. I use one of those bluetooth code scanners and keep it plugged in all the time, it's useful or keeping an eye on things as I drive.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have an '06 base 4cy w/ 4wd 127k miles that's not in the best cosmetic shape but I try my best to keep up with it mechanically. I finally have a garage to do proper work, instead of laying in the street. It's hitting that point where a lot of stuff goes out at once and I'm keeping on top of it but want to know what you keep around as spares and what essential preventive maintenance needs to be done to prevent a bigger repair. I've recently replaced a faulty alternator and the belt while I was at it, plugs, brake pads, the rear bumper metal piece because someone hit me and took off, and had toyota do an engine flush. oil and air filters I do on a regular basis.
well in my case i drive over 35K miles annually as an IT services tech in the NY/NJ/PHIL area, occasionally to the New England states, so parts "on-hand" availability is critical.
most of spares i have are from toyota, i order from a large dealer in VA and get better prices than local dealer. Oil Filters with drain plug gaskets, i change trans fluid 3x yearly and keep 2 cork style transpan gaskets with drain plug gasket, (all oem toyo)
2 denso coil packs some left over extra steering parts, where i ordered/purchased parts locally while tearing into steering/suspension issues and just kept parts for future use, as far as what will fail, you already know of the altenator (noisy bearing)
so just keep on the small things and when the big one hits, like the steering gear fails and you get the "clunk", sometimes there's a quick fix for it, but in my case with a vehicle at 217,000 miles i had to get creative and replace the rack with no lift and just using bottle jacks to support the engine/trans.....on my back , goin at it. brutual!

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts