Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer has delayed the delivery date for my V6 AGAIN! :wall In December, I agreed to pay MSRP but that was based upon a January delivery date. Now it's 3 months later and still no V6. Unfortunately for the dealer, I've now got other options and can get it somewhere else.

I told them they need to do something to make me happy or I was going to fly down to Maryland and buy one from another dealer this weekend.

So, he said he would install an Alarm and Nav system for cost. He says the alarm will cost me $400, but he can't give me a price on the Nav system for 6-8 weeks because the Nav company won't have any details until then. Of course, by then it will be too late!

Questions:

1) Is $400 installed a good price for an alarm?
- On the Toyota configurator, the V.I. P.-RS3200 is only $359. How is this a deal?

2) The Rav they've identified already has the Remote Starter. Do I need an alarm too?
- The Toyota site (http://www.toyota.com/rav4/accessories.html) says:
"VIP (Vehicle Intrusion Program) Remote Engine Starter: protects against theft by activating when the vehicle glass is broken or when a door is forcibly opened."
- Is this a combination of the RS3200 and the remote start, just the remote start, or just the RS3200 or something else? I'm confused!

3) What should I shoot for on the Nav System?
- The dealer told me that they use an after market company that will install the same system that Toyota uses, but it will still be OEM and not Toyota.
- They told me that they usually charge $2,000 for the Nav System but they will not commit to a price until the Nav company gives them a price.
- How much of a discount should I push for? I.e., is dealer cost enough, or should I demand more?

Should I be asking (demanding) anything else?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sounds a good deal for me if they agree to install both items on your rav. I placed the order and waited more than 7 months on my Matrix, but they didn't offer anything for me.
** Make sure no extra cost on the labor and the aftermarket nav will voild the manufactory sound system warranty...etc"

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I think the VIP security system is $289 if install by factory. I paid $500 to have mine install by the dealer.
The remote starter is a seperate unit from the alarm system. The remote starter is $500 if install by factory.
$2000 is a fair price from a NAV system. Just wondering, where are they going to put your nav system? If they put it where the radio is, where would they put the radio?

·
Registered
340 Posts
The G Man said:
I think the VIP security system is $289 if install by factory. I paid $500 to have mine install by the dealer.
The remote starter is a seperate unit from the alarm system. The remote starter is $500 if install by factory.
$2000 is a fair price from a NAV system. Just wondering, where are they going to put your nav system? If they put it where the radio is, where would they put the radio?
If he said the same system of the toyota navigation. I have the Toyota Navigation on my Matrix and the system itself can control all the function like radio, CD changer....etc. But I have question how it fit, I believe most toyota navigation the shape is rectangle, how it fit in the 06 Rav4.
Here is the sample picture

·
Registered
120 Posts
Here is a pic of the real nav unit for the RAV4.

or look in my album.

I want this NAV unit right now...... I'm wondering if it can be ordered from the UK and if it would be a plug and play.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I spoke to the dealer re: the alarm being $400 his cost and he said it was higher than if it had been factory installed because he can’t buy in bulk quantities like Toyota, so he gets charged more.

As for the Nav system, he said that it would normally cost $2,500 but he will only charge me $1,900. This seems high to me. I can get a top of the line Tom Tom for under $1,000. Is the Toyota Nav system really that much better?

Does anyone have details on the Toyota Nav system that I can research online? I can’t believe how much I’m going to end up paying for my new Rav!

Incidentally, the dealer said that everything would be included in my bumper to bumper warrantee.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
120 Posts
tcocsr said:
I spoke to the dealer re: the alarm being $400 his cost and he said it was higher than if it had been factory installed because he can’t buy in bulk quantities like Toyota, so he gets charged more.

As for the Nav system, he said that it would normally cost $2,500 but he will only charge me $1,900. This seems high to me. I can get a top of the line Tom Tom for under $1,000. Is the Toyota Nav system really that much better?

Does anyone have details on the Toyota Nav system that I can research online? I can’t believe how much I’m going to end up paying for my new RAV!

Incidentally, the dealer said that everything would be included in my bumper to bumper warrantee.
Well the only thing I can add is that my 05 Sienna AWD LTD has the NAV system and it is awesome.... Not only does it navigate it also plays DVD movies while I'm driving so my wife could watch the movie along with my daughter. The picture is amazingly awesome :D I'll pay that price no problem exact fit, looks good. I'm almost positive you can hook it up in sync with a roof mounted unit for the people in the rear which is what I’ll be doing soon as I can get a hand on a nav unit.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
purduealum91 said:
Well, if its just a NAV unit for $1900, Im sorry, but thats not worth it. If it also plays DVDs, I may consider it.
The dealer I bought from could install an Eclipse aftermarket in-dash DVD navigation system. Eclipse is a sister company of Toyota and used to be called Fujitsu Ten.

The unit had AM/FM and two separate optical drives -- one CD for music and one DVD, specifically for nav duties. I didn't ask if it played DVD videos, but at an original price of "$2900, but it's cheaper now", I wasn't much curious to look more into it beyond playing with the touchscreen interface. The motorized LCD took up almost the full frontal of its double-DIN head unit, with a thin bezel top and bottom and a somewhat narrow row of buttons down the left and right sides.

Not sure what the model number was, but Eclipses that it resembled were something like an AVN6600 (which I know it wasn't), AVN5500 and AVN5435 (likely one of those?). Looks like they all play DVD video.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Here is another unit that I would consider getting. You play DVD movies, Navigation, touch screen, and I believe it comes with a rear camera that you can install. Pioneer unit AVIC-N2.

it is also in my album

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
340 Posts
My Matrix's nav cannot play DVD, I mean movie. I remember the system cost me aprrox $3000 when I place the order on the car.... I think is $3000, let me check it later.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts