Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the new V6 Rav4 can run on fuel which is blended with ethanol? I live in MN and their summer grade of fuels contains up to 10% ethanol, and with state mandates to change that to contain 20% more ethanol in less than 4 years, I am wondering if the new Rav4 motors are compatible with it? I know some other manufacturers motors have had some problems running on this fuel.

Similarly, is it possible to run them on E85 fuel?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Toyota recommended not to run the vehicle with more than 10% of blended ethanol fuel (gasahol). It is listed in the owner manual. Damage is possible if run with e85 fuel.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
10% ethanol is ok to use. This is the most common ethanol blend. Manual says NOT to use methanol, - not ethanol. We will be seeing more and more ethanol blends in gasoline in the future as MTBE's have been outlawed in many states.

OC

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Not quite as good mileage as conventional gas, more susceptible to water and particulate contamination, easier to reach octane standards with ethanol blends. Get used to it, Inlets, we're gonna be seeing a lot more of these ethanol blends in the future. At present, they are not allowed to exceed 10% by volume according to ASTM standards. Newer vehicles shouldn't have any problem running on this blend. :wink:

OC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts