Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edit: This writeup is done with a set of e-code HALOGEN projectors, Bulb size H11. HID projectors use D4S

I finally installed the e-codes halogen projectors today. It's a lot more complicated than the Audi and the Subaru that I have done prior. Here is my write up.

Parts needed

Euro Halogen Projectors (E-codes)- I got them from ebay UK - make sure it's a set from a LHD RAV4.
City Light Socket - p/n 81138‑52570 - one for each housing.
Turn Signal Socket - p/n 81515‑42050 - one for each housing.
25-Position Female Crimp D-Sub Connector - RadioShack.com
Wire Tap-In Squeeze Connectors (7-Pack) - RadioShack.com
1/4" Fully Insulated Quick Disconnects (10-Pack) - RadioShack.com <- couple of boxes.
9006/9005 HB4 Male Replacement Wire Harness HID XENON | eBay
Zip ties.
Wires.

Bulb / Socket fitments

US Spec bulb sizes
Low - 9006
Hi - 9005
Turn Signal - 7443 clear

E-codes
Low - H11 - (halogen, HID projectors use D4S)
Hi - 9005
Turn Signal - 992 / 7440A amber
City - w5w

As you can see the only thing that will plug right in is the hi-beam. Everything else needs modification.

The turn signal and the side marker are of the same bulb in our US market RAV4. E-codes has separate turn signal and clearance (city) light.

US turn signal socket also will not fit into the e-code housing. You need a new turn signal socket.

Turn Signals / City Lights wirings

Got new sockets in the mail. Uh... where are the wires?

Turn signal socket, socket side up.

Socket side down.

City light socket, socket side down.

It looks like these connectors connect to other connectors! Screw this.

I went to radio shack and got some female contacts meant for serial ports, crimp wires and install heat shrink on them.

Wires installed.

Top it off with a some silicone sealant. Rinse and repeat 3 more times.

Now.. I got my sockets with wires. Time to install new headlamps.

I took off my front bumper with the instructions from the foglight install.

https://www.rav4world.com/forums/97-4-3-exterior/65541-how-add-foglights-using-oem-wiring-rav4-3-a.html

Now remove the bar that the horns are mounted on. (10mm bolt x2) I just let it dangle.

Unscrew the headlamp. There are 4 10mm bolts - 2 on top, one low toward the center of the car, and one more bolted to the fender. Take your time and don't break that plastic tab that is snapped on the fender.

Unplug all three sockets (turn signal, low and hi beam) and remove the headlamp.

There is a turn signal harness that is attached to the headlamp. Remove the harness and cut it in half! :) We will be using this harness to wire our city/turn signal.

There are three wires on this harness - red, yellow, and black. Using a voltmeter I found:

red wire (side marker +)
yellow wire (turn signal +)
black wire (ground)

And wired it appropriately.

There.. city/turn signals are done.

HID Wiring

I got a 55w HID kit from DDMTuning, size H11. Even though the HID capsule will fit the projector opening perfectly. I would need to get the HID kit to accept power from 9006 sockets. I got a pair of 9006 male harness from ebay. All I did then was just remove the wires off the H11 connector on the HID kit and install the 9006 connector in place of it.

Now I have a H11 HID kit that will take power from 9006 power source.

Ballast Mounting

I decided to mount the ballast under the housing. I dremel off a side so the ballast would fit. I then mounted the ballast using hi-strength mirror mounting tape. I recommend clean both mounting surfaces with rubbing alcohol for maximum strength.

Zip tie everything together and install it! Now do it for the other side.

City light on...

City light and turn signal on...

DRL on...

HID!!

As you can tell this is not plug and play by far. Honestly it's not too difficult if you have basic wiring knowledge.

Hopefully this writeup would make it even easier.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Great write up with pictures! Nice work!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,646 Posts
Kenny, the lights look great! But I can't believe you didn't change out those wimpy meep-meep horns while you had easy access! I put in a set of FIAMM horns for around $20 and now my RAV4 sounds like a real car!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great write up with pictures! Nice work!
Thanks for the leads you gave me.. I think I found some of your previous posts that were really helpful!

Kenny, the lights look great! But I can't believe you didn't change out those wimpy meep-meep horns while you had easy access! I put in a set of FIAMM horns for around $20 and now my RAV4 sounds like a real car!
This will not be the last time I take off the front bumper.. I will replace the horn when I install my laser jammer.

Also thinking about getting a set of HID fog lights to go with it... Too bad my budget is tied up on my other car at the moment.. :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Kenny,

The euro projectors really look nice. I just ordered a pair for my Rav4 Sport.
Where did you order the city and turn signal sockets from?
Also how is the light beam with the HID's?
One last question did your unit come with motors?

Thanks.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Kenny,

The euro projectors really look nice. I just ordered a pair for my Rav4 Sport.
Where did you order the city and turn signal sockets from?
Also how is the light beam with the HID's?
One last question did your unit come with motors?

Thanks.
1. I just googled the part number and used the first one that came up.
81138-52570 - OEM Toyota SOCKET & WIRE, HEAD
2. Still very focused with sharp cutoffs. No problems whatsoever.
3. Mine did.. but I got these used.

·
Registered
8 Posts
they have them here

In Australia, all the 2006+ RAV4 have these lights. You can buy them here orignal or ADR approved aftermarket. The V6 RAV4 in Australian model you could adjust the light bean via a dial so your light beam points up or down kinda cool.

Toyota Rav 4 - HEAD LIGHT (LH)

hope that helps. :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts