Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the color is easily solved with a different backlight and the reverse LCD can probably be made to look like a regular LCD.

The Europe one is made up of a whole bunch of individual square pixels instead of fixed letters and number segments, which allows them to program it to display almost anything that'll fit on that tiny screen -- even animation and graphics logos! Some of the RAV4 Europe websites still show the animation that plays when you start the engine...

Judging by the first pic, it also looks like it has a trip computer that reports gas mileage, etc.

K

·
0 Posts
The first one is easier to read but I think it's too busy. I also don't understand all the differences between countries. Doesn't seem an economical way to build cars to me. I'd think the more standard parts the better. The animation would definitely be cool.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Doesn't make sense to me either. Even with domestic manufacturers (Ford, GM). They have cool cars with cool options for Europe and Asia but not here! And they wonder why they're not doing so well in the U.S. Duh! We want the cars they make for other countries.

Anyway, 2nd pic easier for me to read. 1st one is too busy. The instantaneous mpg meter is kinda neat. Drove a Jetta that had that. Not good in the city but on long steady drives it can be helpful.

S

·
0 Posts
wait a sec - we dont get V6, we dont get JBL, and you think you are worse off? thats pretty funny.

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, if you're in Europe spwolfx, those of us in North America can give you a list as long as your arm of what we don't get... :p

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well Karrock, which one did YOU think looked better? I thought everyone was going to say the first (European) one! I like that one better (Ok yes it is a bit too busy, but as far as display technology I like the first one).

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hah, I would have thought that the way I kept describing the details of the LCD dot matrix display, that everyone would guess that I liked that one. 8)

I remember several other people going ga-ga when they found out the display read "Welcome RAV4" when you started the ignition.

The trip computer and mileage is just too nice an item to get lost in the shuffle between continents... like several other lost features and options, it annoys me a good deal. :?

M

·
0 Posts
That European display is pretty cool! --Bet its just a matter of time until someone hacks into it and creates their own custom animation and messages...

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
Kelly Smith said:
Yeah... the second one does look better :wink: :roll:
I was being sarcastic when I said the second one looks better... note the :wink: .

IMHO... the first one looks sooooooooo much better... there is NO comparison. I'm NOT a fan of the ORANGE, but in defense of the ORANGE, it does match the ORANGE color setting on my SIRIUS SPORTSTER perfectly 8)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts