Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want the rear RED light that is below/beside the tire. I think it came only in United Kingdom?
Would anybody have a part number?
I would so get it and put it on my RAV. Love it !

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
It's a rear fog light.
Look it up, probably find it on ebay.

·
Super Moderator
10,134 Posts
If that is a rear fog light it's gonna be super bright like a brake light stuck on. I've seen them on Volvos and they are so annoying to follow at night I either fall back or use the pedal on the right to eliminate the nuisance.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
My bad, I thought he meant the rear light lamps. Looks like I read too fast I've tried other countries and I haven't been able to see them. But, depending where you got that photo, sometimes Toyota place some "cool" lamps, like in my 1997 promotion that had two nice Rally Lights on the front bumper. Somewhere in this forum you can find the promotion. But in reality, I never found them for my RAV4.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
As Dr. Dyno notes rear fog lights are super bright. In Europe they can be illuminated only when there actually is fog or other conditions which severely restrict visibility, since otherwise they are blinding to following drivers.

Reactions: Dr. Dyno

·
Super Moderator
802 Posts
From the '90s it was mandatory for European spec vehicles to have rear fog lamps.
Use part number #81220-42010 (LAMP ASSY, REAR FOG) to facilitate your search.

(http://www.rav4world.com/forums/members/albums/37389-mick-hatzo/used-forums-8706-picture50426-rear-fog-schematic.png)

(http://www.rav4world.com/forums/members/albums/37389-mick-hatzo/used-forums-8706-picture50418-rear-fog-housing.jpg)
It uses a 21W bulb (same bulb as a 98-00 front signal one) and is very bright but useful only on very inclement weather conditions.
The housing just screws on your back door (that sounded dirty), and you could easily wire it to a relay and a switch. Keep in mind that you will have to "hollow out" the plastic trim on the suitably recessed location to accommodate for the housing's "bulge". Check this post from Coupi's build thread to see how the under-spare-tire plastic trim differs from European to US spec:
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/1113329-post33.html
The European plastic trim also allows for double rear fog lights as Miha2e, an old member here, demonstrated:

It is also highly probable that the necessary wiring is already present in your car, which would make the installation a breeze.
For complete OEM look, source a #84165-16010 rear fog light switch and you are set:

(http://www.rav4world.com/forums/members/albums/37389-mick-hatzo/my-mods-8714-picture50650-tease-http-www-rav4world-com-forums-94-4-1-d-i-y-modifications-223449-oem-garage-door-opener-homelink-html.jpg)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From the '90s it was mandatory for European spec vehicles to have rear fog lamps.
Use part number #81220-42010 (LAMP ASSY, REAR FOG) to facilitate your search.

It uses a 21W bulb (same bulb as a 98-00 front signal one) and is very bright but useful only on very inclement weather conditions.
The housing just screws on your back door (that sounded dirty), and you could easily wire it to a relay and a switch. Keep in mind that you will have to "hollow out" the plastic trim on the suitably recessed location to accommodate for the housing's "bulge". Check this post from Coupi's build thread to see how the under-spare-tire plastic trim differs from European to US spec:
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/1113329-post33.html
The European plastic trim also allows for double rear fog lights as Miha2e, an old member here, demonstrated:

It is also highly probable that the necessary wiring is already present in your car, which would make the installation a breeze.
For complete OEM look, source a #84165-16010 rear fog light switch and you are set:

GOOD GOSH MAN !!!
That was some research paper there !! Awesome. Thanks !!
Now the trick is to get this and get it installed.
I love annoying people on the road. LOL !

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
GOOD GOSH MAN !!!
That was some research paper there !! Awesome. Thanks !!
Now the trick is to get this and get it installed.
I love annoying people on the road. LOL !
Wonderful logic and courtesy toward others! If installed it may blind other drivers and you could be rear-ended. Also law enforcement may hand out a ticket for having a tail lamp which is not approved in the US . . .and some lawyer may have a legal field day.

·
Super Moderator
10,134 Posts
...I love annoying people on the road. LOL !
Well, at least if you do it on the Dalton Highway in AK where it looks like your picture is from you won't annoy many people. And those you do will be semis. :egad:

BTW, when I installed driving lights on my '99 F-250 for a straight-thru trip from Idaho to Alaska I was informed that they are illegal in some Canadian provinces and must be covered to avoid a ticket. Used them anyway in the wee hours in the middle of nowhere hoping the one vehicle every hour wasn't a cop.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Wonderful logic and courtesy toward others! If installed it may blind other drivers and you could be rear-ended. Also law enforcement may hand out a ticket for having a tail lamp which is not approved in the US . . .and some lawyer may have a legal field day.

I have seen lots of cars in USA that have it. You are thinking of the worst of the worst but I doubt I am going to end up doing it. It looked cool and I doubt I will even find it anywhere. :D

Also I think it is turned on only during heavy fog.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, at least if you do it on the Dalton Highway in AK where it looks like your picture is from you won't annoy many people. And those you do will be semis. :egad:

BTW, when I installed driving lights on my '99 F-250 for a straight-thru trip from Idaho to Alaska I was informed that they are illegal in some Canadian provinces and must be covered to avoid a ticket. Used them anyway in the wee hours in the middle of nowhere hoping the one vehicle every hour wasn't a cop.

Yes. True on Dalton highway. My plan is to drive south to Brazil and Argentina next and I doubt anybody would care over there.
But I doubt I am going to end up doing it all as I was telling some other members here. I think it will stay on my wish list. LOL~!
Also I think it is turned on only during heavy fog. Not sure if I will find all parts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts