Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

EV Mode Speed/Distance

17798 25
I was hoping someone might be able to comment on the EV MODE setting. Can't seem to find much information on this other than you can drive in electric only mode in the right conditions. So I was wondering what speed can you go in EV Mode and what sort of distance can you drive?
Hoping to be able to purchase a rav4 Hybrid in New Zealand but looks like they are sold out till late this year early next year depending on the model.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
1,739 Posts
I was hoping someone might be able to comment on the EV MODE setting. Can't seem to find much information on this other than you can drive in electric only mode in the right conditions. So I was wondering what speed can you go in EV Mode and what sort of distance can you drive?
Hoping to be able to purchase a rav4 Hybrid in New Zealand but looks like they are sold out till late this year early next year depending on the model.
I have used it a few times in our ‘12 Prius. My understanding is that it will go up to 25 mph using just the battery when in EV mode. Don’t know about distance but guess it’s dependent on battery charge. Not real useful IMO.

· Registered
57 Posts
EV Mode seems to require a half-full battery or better before it will allow you to engage. Next, you have to be 25mph or less. The distance obviously depends on factors such as how much of a battery charge you have, what items are currently draining the battery beside the electric motors, etc. I've never really pushed it and measured, but I know when I arrive on-site for my work, I drive over a mile in pure EV Mode before reaching my office.

Again, without pushing it, in town with EV Mode not engaged and just let the system do its thing, I've managed three miles on the battery only.

· Registered
2,364 Posts
EV Mode is up to 19 mph, it's also will easily deactivate when you are even light on the gas pedal. I haven't even been able to figure out the distance since 19 mph is pretty much parking lot speed. Bottom line it's disappointing and I wouldn't count on it besides entry/exit from the driveway or parking stall.

Reactions: KGB4187

· Registered
376 Posts
EV Mode is up to 19 mph...
Not sure where the 19mph figure comes from, but I've been experimenting with it and it consistently kicks off at exactly 25mph. My neighborhood is limited to 25mph, so if I don't want to monkey around with feathering the throttle to kick the ICE off, I'll EV Drive Mode it through the neighborhood...

Reactions: Glockster_James

· Registered
1 Posts
Not sure where the 19mph figure comes from, but I've been experimenting with it and it consistently kicks off at exactly 25mph. My neighborhood is limited to 25mph, so if I don't want to monkey around with feathering the throttle to kick the ICE off, I'll EV Drive Mode it through the neighborhood...
my 2019 just started kicking off at 19 mph. It used to go up to 25. No clue why it changed.

· Registered
15 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
My 2020 XSE only uses EV up to 19/20 MPH then disengages. Doesn't matter which mode. EV, ECO, Normal, sport. Disengages at 19/20 mph
Very disappointing.
Also, my MPG is only about 33 - 34 mpg. Not getting into the 40s

· Registered
762 Posts
My 2020 XSE only uses EV up to 19/20 MPH then disengages. Doesn't matter which mode. EV, ECO, Normal, sport. Disengages at 19/20 mph
Very disappointing.
Also, my MPG is only about 33 - 34 mpg. Not getting into the 40s
Do you mean even when you're coasting or going downhill at higher speeds it doesn't go to EV mode (EV symbol doesn't light up)?

· Registered
331 Posts
In my 2019 the upper limit for EV mode is somewhere about 65 mph. Which is still awesome. Older models couldn't go that high. It has to do with MG1 speed. When the gas engine isn't spinning the MG1 is spinning REALLY FAST. So if you are really gentle and going downhill or flat you can do 65 MPH in EV mode. This is how I got something like 25 miles of pure EV at highway speeds: kept it at 65 or less, charged on the steepest downhill, and used pure EV with light pedal to get over "camel humps" in the road. Could not keep a constant speed, but it was still awesome. ?

· Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I have just brought a 2019 hybrid rav4 but don’t understand if this is correct. So when I turn on the car it is on ev mode for a few mins and then comes off ev mode. Or it will drives for just a few mins and come off ev mode when I hit around 30mph. Another instance is I was parked and put the car on to change some settings, heather was on and after a min it came off ev mode. Does this sound normal

· Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
2,386 Posts
Hi, I have just brought a 2019 hybrid rav4 but don’t understand if this is correct. So when I turn on the car it is on ev mode for a few mins and then comes off ev mode. Or it will drives for just a few mins and come off ev mode when I hit around 30mph. Another instance is I was parked and put the car on to change some settings, heather was on and after a min it came off ev mode. Does this sound normal
Depends on if the engine is already warm and the outside temperatures. It wants the engine warm and oil flowing freely when you need to stomp on the pedal, ask for HVAC, etc.

The ECU knows when to turn things on and when not to. Just drive for a while with displays that give you info about what is going on and you'll be amazed.

· Registered
6 Posts
Thank you for the reply. Have never driven a hybrid before so was not sure what to expect. The car was cold started in the morning so what you say sounds like the reason why it is going off ev mode straight away. Does ev mode work on motorways if your driving for a period of time at around 60 mph

· Registered
5 Posts
I have exceeded 30mph in my RAV 4 but you only get a about 200 yards before the petrol engine kicks in. If you are driving on the battery and press the accelerator slightly more than just touching it, the engine kicks in.

· Registered
5 Posts
Thank you for the reply. Have never driven a hybrid before so was not sure what to expect. The car was cold started in the morning so what you say sounds like the reason why it is going off ev mode straight away. Does ev mode work on motorways if your driving for a period of time at around 60 mph
No chance

1 - 20 of 26 Posts