Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone get this when trying to switch to EV mode via button? Seems today with 100+ temp F, I am unable to switch to it at the end of my commute - despite having full hybrid battery.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
There's no benefit to using the EV button most of the time, its more about marketing than anything else. It drains the battery and forces ICE charging.
That said, there is a list of things that might prevent its use. That list is published in the owner's manual. One of those things is the internal temp of the inverter/converter system and battery.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That said, there is a list of things that might prevent its use. That list is published in the owner's manual. One of those things is the internal temp of the inverter/converter system and battery.
Yep, this is probably it. Even without pushing the EV button, it would normally go to battery mode during low speed driving... not this afternoon.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Does anyone get this when trying to switch to EV mode via button? Seems today with 100+ temp F, I am unable to switch to it at the end of my commute - despite having full hybrid battery.
It happens to me too. Specially when I'm doing long downhill the battery gets fully charged and at some point it will turn off the automatic EV mode and then starts the engine. At that point no EV mode is available manual (via button) nor automatic. It probably needs to cool down some parts of the hybrid system to prevent damage.
After some time even when the EV mode is available it is quickly turned off just after slight pressure of the gas pedal. I believe it is due to temperature of the system. Would be interesting to read the status of the hybrid system via some OBD II Bluetooth dongle and some nice app to see what is happening...

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've often wondered on long downhill descents if it starts the ICE to give MG1 the ability to shed excess power from the battery by spinning the ICE. Or if the battery is full but not excessively so, shunt power from MG2 and MGR to MG1 to spin the ICE to still allow braking force to be applied via the drive motors.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts