Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is it located on an 08 v6 base model?

I was told that mine went bad and I need a new one, and it is crazy expensive. At this time, my check engine light/VSC/4WD lights are on. A friend read the error code and its P0456, a small vacuum leak.

Id also like to pick up a OBD error code reader, can anyone recommend an inexpensive one?

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
10,132 Posts
It's located under the driver's seat floor with only a rudimentary protective cover over (under) it. Took some fabrication but I installed a later model cover for mine.
There are many threads on repairing/replacing it at non-exorbident prices.

A quick eBay check shows OBD code readers from under $10 for a bluetooth module for use with an Android phone and $15 for a handheld standalone unit with a readout to $218 for an All Systems Autel scanner.

Sitting in the left rear tray of my wife's RAV4 right now is an Actron CP9410 because it not only reads and resets but also displays a "severity" index for some guidance w/o having to interpret the code number.

I also have a professional Autel which cost $300 a couple years ago. In addition to engine (essentially emissions) OBDII codes which set the CE (MIL) light it can check virtually all other systems such a ABS, transmission, you-name-it which don't set the CE and do it on most any car. On the RAV4 it reads the Skid Control ECU w/o having to use the jumper-count-blinks method. Also real handy when I'm helping a friend buy a car. Takes maybe ten minutes but I can check out virtually every electrical & electronic system on the car.

Meantime don't worry about your dash lighting up. IMO those lights are intended to make you panic and run to the dealer credit card in hand.

Reactions: ravenuer

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's exactly what I'm looking to do. Thank you

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Those clone ELM327 bluetooth scanner will work combined with Torque Pro (Android App). A evap code can be tricky to pinpoint the exact problem due to the many parts that can go bad in the evap system. A professional scanner will be able to troubleshoot the location better but otherwise it can be a crapshoot in guessing using a cheap scanner.
If you have a leak in your evap system one of the first place to check is the gas cap which could be loose or bad. Replacing it with a Toyota cap may solve your problem.
If it is definitely a charcoal canister you can replace it with a Scion one which is almost half the price.Do a search in this forum and there is enough information to help you out.

·
Registered
164 Posts
It is in a metal cage under the drivers seat.
There are 4 12mm bolts that hold the cage, then 4 10mm bolts that attach the canister to the cage

Remove the cage (use a screwdriver to pop the cage off the chassis after removing the bolts)
Then disconnect the electronics plug, a gas line (it's not pressurized), and 2 vent tubes
Then remove the canister from the cage.

Install is reversal of these.

I got a used canister on eBay for $120 and it fixed my problem for last 3 years it's been fine.

The vent tubes are a bit tricky to remove if you don't know how.
1- One has a green or red tab. Squeeze the tab (flathead screwdriver) from one side to push it through. Then the other side. Once the tab has unlocked by sliding forward, twist and pull gently to remove the vent tube.
2- The other is a black vent tube with no green or red tabs. It locks like keeping a lollipop in your mouth with your teeth closed. First push it down like you're installing it to move it's teeth away from the lip that it locks to. Then squeeze the tabs which open up the teeth and wiggle and pull the tube off (gently).

Hope this helps. Also, here's a link to ebay, the guy still sells them and mines been fine for 3 years
Toyota Rav4 SCION TC Fuel Vapor Charcoal Canister 77740-42090 77740-0R010 | eBay

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you 33k for the link. I ordered one, and got it two days. I installed it this past weekend, cleared the trouble code, and I'm waiting to see if it works out. I got a couple hundred miles done already and everything seems good

Thank you everybody for your help

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's an update. The car is running great, no issues with the used EVAP I installed.

thank you again everyone for the help. Esp to 33K for the write-up on how to pull the vacuum hoses....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Would this work for a 2008 base model?? I don’t have a FWD but I have the standard slip light on along with the check engine and VSC lights on

·
Registered
2 Posts
So tired of evap leak errors on my 08. I already had the canister replaced. I only get the check engine/VCS error in the winter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts