Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Ever had a loud clunk from a stop?

457 5
I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience?

Today I was pulling out of a parking lot, making a sharp right turn while accelerating moderately, when I heard and felt a loud two tone "clunk clunk" kind of noise. I felt it slightly in my foot but not really anywhere else. I checked in my mirrors and I did not run over anything significant. It was not usual suspension noise anyway and the car did not move vertically in any unusual way. It felt more like some gears in the drivetrain meshed incorrectly for half a second. It might have been when the engine was starting but I wasn't paying attention as there was traffic to watch. In any case, it's the first time I hear anything even remotely close to that in over a year of ownership and it definitely did not sound "normal". It wasn't what I remember from ABS or traction control either.

Everything was working fine and smoothly afterwards. I made a short visual inspection and couldn't find anything wrong around or under the car.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid
1,791 Posts
My guess is this: when accelerating in a sharp turn, the rear motor on the hybrid will tend to give too much power to the rear wheels. I've had this happen to me and the rear of the car wants to "fish tail" somewhat. I've never heard a clunk, but I can imagine that may happen when the stability control kicks in to control the fish tail. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2021 Hybrid LE
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My guess is this: when accelerating in a sharp turn, the rear motor on the hybrid will tend to give too much power to the rear wheels. I've had this happen to me and the rear of the car wants to "fish tail" somewhat. I've never heard a clunk, but I can imagine that may happen when the stability control kicks in to control the fish tail. Just a thought.
Indeed, I've had this happen in winter a few times. Enough that I wish there was a control to dial down rear power. I guess it could be a noise from a rear wheel loosing traction for a small amount of time, spinning up, and then being braked harshly. The exit I was taking has a good drop and the RAV4 has stiff sway bars which make this worse.

I also remembered that I had some folding camping chairs in the trunk but they were all laid flat so I doubt they could have made that much noise and vibration. But still possible I guess.

·
Registered
584 Posts
The only clunk noises my hybrid makes are when the traction control activates. It doesn’t take much imo. Shallow divot or bumps in the road jarring one of the wheels causes the light to flash briefly and make a clunk clunk noise

·
Registered
2021 Hybrid LE
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the traction control theory just gained a few points. Today, in the exact same location, I heard a tire chirp. I wasn't driving it hard, I never left EV mode. There must be something about the geometry of the street at that particular location which lifts a wheel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts