Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading some great stuff about a an engine oil called Royal Purple. After speaking with a few car enthusiasts, they too recommend it for anyone who doesn't mind parting with the extra money it costs to purchase the 4.8 quarts our car uses per oil change.

Has anyone had first hand experience or heard from anyone they PERSONALLY KNOW who have used the product? Any change in the smoothless of the ride or even horsepower? http://royalpurple.com/techi/whyrpi.html

I've read a bunch of forums that compare it to a product called Redline. Some say Redline is better but Royal Purple seems more popular and well used by the racers. I know the rav4 ain't a race car, but we can leave that for another thread topic.

I assume it can't do harm in trying it and if i don't notice a difference i'm either not critical enough or i've simply lost $5 or so. If i can manage to find a place that supplies it (not available at Kragen or Autozone) then I might be the guinea pig who goes for this.

Any thoughts on the subject? Share here.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, so in those quick 2 minutes between these posts I've decided on trying it out. For your local dealer either call Royal Purple or access their website for a list of place that sell the product: http://royalpurple.com/dealers/dealers.html

I'll be picking it up tomorrow and i'll let you know how it goes. I spoke to the Royal Purple people and they recommend either 5w30 or 10w30 but recommended the later for SF weather. Don't ask me why b/c i have no clue.

In the meantime, any thoughts on this subject would still be great. I'd love to hear 'em.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I don't believe there is any harm trying it. But Royal Purple like so many other premium "boutique" brands of lubricants, is simply over kill on an stock street engine. You will benefit just the same with any of the other lower cost domestic synthetic fluids such as Mobil1 or Valvoline Synth.

Sure one can get waist deep in all the SAE tests for motor oils arguing which premium oil is best in this test or that, but at the end of the day for your use there is no need to spend more for some minor differences only determinable in a lab.

My thinking is why spend the extra money on a possible benefit you and your street vehicle will never really notice?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yeah, Royal Purple is heavily promoted on Spike's Saturday morning automotive programming, particularly Horsepower TV. Now, mind you, I LOVE a good American muscle car but those guys and the guy from Trucks annoy me sometimes because they act like they aren't even aware that there are vehicles that can be modded that aren't/weren't made in the U.S. Anyway, my programming complaints aside, Royal Purple makes a full line of fluids including gear oil, tranny fluid, etc. Other than the bought-and-paid-for endorsements of the Horsepower guys, I don't think I've ever heard anything good or bad about Royal Purple, but it shouldn't hurt to give it a shot...I've also thought about trying it.

Becky

S

·
0 Posts
I have never used Royal Purple, but synthetic products are definitely superior. I have a good friend who builds competition engines, mostly big american V8s, and he has seen 1-3 HP gains after a synthetic oil change. While that hardly qualifies as a performance mod, I think it is a good testament to the benefit of synthetic. Also I suggested in another forum that anyone who is thinking avout switching should put a litre of synthetic in the freezer for a couple of days along with a litre of dino oil and see what happens when you pour them out or shake the bottle. My experience has always been with mobil 1 one of the original synthetics, and it has been great. Royal P is probably as good or better? but if it is much more I woild probably stick with one of the other brands as has been suggeted earlier.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I too would choose from the major brands synthetic oils. 2 years ago I seen that a few of you here used Mobil 1 . So I researched the Data and seen it flowed better in the cold amoung a few other strengths it had. With Canadian cold winters that was a big consern for me.

Sibbo, as for the freezer test i liked that idea when you first posted it.
Next time my nieghber has an oil change will regular oil i will fill up 2 of my lab cups (dental cups) and show them the differance.
I just hope no one goes into the freezer and drinkes it :roll:

·
Registered
53 Posts
No, I have never used any of the RP products. From my past experience I used extensively the big names synthetic products: Motul, Mobil 1 and Redline.

On my take on synthetic oil is if I have the extra money then I will use them. IMO the benefit of me to use the synthetic oil is the extra protection at start-up and their addictive package. I am no expert but you might as well try the RP and tell us how do you feel.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jeff said:
Royal Purple is good for another 10 HP ya know! :lol:
Not sure if you're being sarcastic. But if you are, you might be happy to hear that according to their claims the rav4 may get up to an increase of 4.5 hp max. Far from 10 hp but definitely plenty for a simple oil change. There's plenty of reviews that have suggested that indeed it does increase horsepower to some degree.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Becky J. said:
Yeah, Royal Purple is heavily promoted on Spike's Saturday morning automotive programming, particularly Horsepower TV. Now, mind you, I LOVE a good American muscle car but those guys and the guy from Trucks annoy me sometimes because they act like they aren't even aware that there are vehicles that can be modded that aren't/weren't made in the U.S. Anyway, my programming complaints aside, Royal Purple makes a full line of fluids including gear oil, tranny fluid, etc. Other than the bought-and-paid-for endorsements of the Horsepower guys, I don't think I've ever heard anything good or bad about Royal Purple, but it shouldn't hurt to give it a shot...I've also thought about trying it.

Becky
here's a few videos for you all to enjoy. Some of these tests show cars that have been modded with other stuff, but i think one of them does show before and after comparisons of using royal purple alone: http://royalpurple.com/video/video.html

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Slayer said:
RAV4Don said:
My thinking is why spend the extra money on a possible benefit you and your street vehicle will never really notice?
I think Zoomie is trying to get a heads up on Ron8818 by getting as many legal performance mods for his class as he can get for next year's rallycross season. :D :D

Oh yeah, anyone ever try Amsoil?
I can't blame the car. it's ron's driving that's superior.

O

·
0 Posts
Mmmm, Nice shiney advert!

The key phrase that they constantly use is "Up to" and that is their get out clause when the oil is tested and does not meet what they claim, but their maximum figures are what folks who buy in to the sales pitch always quote.

A decent quality oil that meets the manufacturers spec is all that you need.

Ever heard the story of the Kings new clothes?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Use mobil 1 it cheaper and gives extra protection in the cold and hot weather and maybe some peace of mind. OIL IS OIL!!! just change it on a regular basis and you will have no issues.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Oil Burner said:
Mmmm, Nice shiney advert!

The key phrase that they constantly use is "Up to" and that is their get out clause when the oil is tested and does not meet what they claim, but their maximum figures are what folks who buy in to the sales pitch always quote.

A decent quality oil that meets the manufacturers spec is all that you need.

Ever heard the story of the Kings new clothes?
I agree with the comment that one must be careful believeing advertiser's claims. My general opinion is that one must take the advertiser's HP claims and divide that number by 2 or 3 to get closer to the actual number you will experience with their product. Even doing that is generous and optimistic.

Regarding dyno claims: I have a bud that has a shop with a chassis dyno (Dyno-Jet brand) and have watched a number of dynos over the years. I have yet to see a car do three consecutive pulls and get the same numbers along the curve or identical max HP or TQ. I would estimate that margin of normal variance between pulls is from 1-10HP. Aside from that there is the SAE correction factor that can be played with by the dyno operator. Certain weather conditions (i.e. temp, humidity) can have a dramatic affect on dtno results. One must alwasy compare SAE net figures to SAE net figures as the gross figures can be very misleading and frequently are used to over inflate results.

S

·
0 Posts
The dyno results I was referring to were for an engine Dyno, several tries with reg oil then a switch to synthetic and the hp increased with no other changes. It was not to be mistaken for hype from some company who achieved these results once, just an observation by some very experienced engine builders(not myself) This particular friend built a nine second 69 camaro runing on pump gas so I trust his opinion, but I do agree that I would hardly assume this could be considered a perfect test also already highpo engines to begin with, not exactly a basis to make claims for performance gains in the rav, but a bit of evidence in the case for synthetic. Oh and isn't it great to have friends with expensive toys?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts