Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Ok Ok,
Seriously, I would not spend the extra for the RP, but I do splurge for the synthetic (Mobil 1) In a the rav I would highly doubt any performance gains, expecially any you can feel, race engines are so finely tuned and no stone is left unturned to get every bit out of them so taking every step possible to help performance makes alot of sense no matter how small. Easier cold start up is my biggest reason. You can practically feel that it is easier to start with synthetic in. That might be just in my head. Remember though that in a higher mileage engine, a switch to synthetic can clean out a leak that was being plugged by conventional oil. Thats my thoughts on the issue

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Just came back from the speed shop with 5 quarts of Royal Purple and a receipt for just under $38. Looks like i'll have to do my own oil change to stay within budget for a normal oil change. It turns out that gas station guys will charge the same amount even if you supply the oil! At least taht's what the speed shop guy said. "Speed shop" is a corny term, but i've heard so many people use it that I thought i'd go with it.

I STILL NEED:
- I'll need to buy a pan to have a place for the old oil to fall into
- More research on how to do an oil change. one member here did a pretty good job of a DIY tutorial.
- oil filter
- some guts.
- tools.

Wish me luck.

S

·
0 Posts
Once you get one under your belt you will be surprised how easy it is, don't forget to dispose of the old oil in the proper way, most service stations will take it for you, several around here will take your old oil even if you do you do your own. Good luck.

S

·
0 Posts
On an engine like the rav4 which isn't performance based, a decent standard synthetic will do the trick, just be gentle with her when th enegine's warming up.

Quite a few people use Royal Purple on the Supra forums - it's an ester-based synthetic rather than a synthetic based on a hydro-cracked mineral oil. Personally, I swear by Silkolene Pro S for mine :)

21 - 24 of 24 Posts