Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2020 RAV4 Limited Hybrid three years ago, and every January/February in Northern Ontario, Canada it stops working. The battery either dies overnight and/or I get a myriad of error messages:

hybrid system malfunction shift to p see owners manual
braking power low visit your dealer
High power consumption partial limit on ac/heater operation
Check engine visit your dealer
nav screen: a malfunction in the hybrid system has been detected. stop in a safe location and contact your Toyota dealer in order to have your vehicle inspected

Every time I bring it to the dealer they initially say they can't find anything wrong with it, and it is only after multiple trips and my insistence that they look further.. The first year, they replaced a relay by the battery, said that was the issue. Last year, they said it was a software issue with the nav software draining the battery, and they patched it. Well, my wife is stranded at work today with the same issue.

A common comment is that we "need to drive it more" (it is driven every day, but only has ~8000km on it due to not traveling with COVID). I don't think that is a reasonable issue, it is clearly a design flaw. Its not like we are keeping it in cold storage for weeks at a time. My wife drove it to work this morning, and this afternoon it is toast.

Any advice? Anyone else with this issue? This is our last year of warranty and clearly the underlying issue has not be addressed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. Not every cold day, but when it does happen it is usually a cold day. Only happens in January/February.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I bought a 2020 RAV4 Limited Hybrid three years ago, and every January/February in Northern Ontario, Canada it stops working. The battery either dies overnight and/or I get a myriad of error messages:

hybrid system malfunction shift to p see owners manual
braking power low visit your dealer
High power consumption partial limit on ac/heater operation
Check engine visit your dealer
nav screen: a malfunction in the hybrid system has been detected. stop in a safe location and contact your Toyota dealer in order to have your vehicle inspected

Every time I bring it to the dealer they initially say they can't find anything wrong with it, and it is only after multiple trips and my insistence that they look further.. The first year, they replaced a relay by the battery, said that was the issue. Last year, they said it was a software issue with the nav software draining the battery, and they patched it. Well, my wife is stranded at work today with the same issue.

A common comment is that we "need to drive it more" (it is driven every day, but only has ~8000km on it due to not traveling with COVID). I don't think that is a reasonable issue, it is clearly a design flaw. Its not like we are keeping it in cold storage for weeks at a time. My wife drove it to work this morning, and this afternoon it is toast.

Any advice? Anyone else with this issue? This is our last year of warranty and clearly the underlying issue has not be addressed.
Has battery been replaced? Quite possible it was damaged when you had the initial problems. Each time a lead acid battery is excessively discharged it does not recover to it's original capacity. Since an ICE equipped vehicle uses a starting motor this reduced battery capacity will result in hard starting and will be easy to detect but in a hybrid it will be much more difficult and will become more apparent during cold weather or infrequent use.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has battery been replaced? Quite possible it was damaged when you had the initial problems. Each time a lead acid battery is excessively discharged it does not recover to it's original capacity. Since an ICE equipped vehicle uses a starting motor this reduced battery capacity will result in hard starting and will be easy to detect but in a hybrid it will be much more difficult and will become more apparent during cold weather or infrequent use.
No. In the past the battery has passed testing and they tols me that they can't replace it if it passes.

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
1,849 Posts
No. In the past the battery has passed testing and they tols me that they can't replace it if it passes.
What test? Have you tested it at home with a simple voltmeter? A load tester?

·
Registered
415 Posts
From what you described in your first post, your battery is NFG! If it has to be charged up or boosted more than once or twice then it is toast.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From what you described in your first post, your battery is NFG! If it has to be charged up or boosted more than once or twice then it is toast.
Quite possibly, but they will only replace if it fails their in-house test.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just had this issue with my 2020 XSE hybrid last week. I am in the Twin Cities, MN and did not drive it for 2 days while parked outside in sub-zero weather. I drove it for a quick trip, parked for 3 hours and received the hybrid error/check engine warning after it started. It drove normal so I made an appointment at the dealership for the next day, but when the weather warmed up by that morning the errors were gone and have not returned. I plan on not letting it sit when it is that cold and driving for a 20 minute trip in the future. With my old Honda CRV, the battery literally freeze two years in a row and I had to bring it inside to thaw and it resumed normal amperage. If the errors arise again, I will take it in, but the dealership wouldn't give me a loaner and it will be a pain to wait.

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
1,849 Posts
I just had this issue with my 2020 XSE hybrid last week. I am in the Twin Cities, MN and did not drive it for 2 days while parked outside in sub-zero weather. I drove it for a quick trip, parked for 3 hours and received the hybrid error/check engine warning after it started. It drove normal so I made an appointment at the dealership for the next day, but when the weather warmed up by that morning the errors were gone and have not returned. I plan on not letting it sit when it is that cold and driving for a 20 minute trip in the future. With my old Honda CRV, the battery literally freeze two years in a row and I had to bring it inside to thaw and it resumed normal amperage. If the errors arise again, I will take it in, but the dealership wouldn't give me a loaner and it will be a pain to wait.
The two most often reported cold weather or not-drining fixes are a fuel pump relay (fixed replacement) and the DCM audio firmware update. Explore those with your dealer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts