Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I installed an Excalibur RS-150-EDP+ and Fortin Bypass in my 2008 Rav4 V6 LE today. Install seemed to go fine, however it's not functioning as expected. There are two starters from the ignition switch harness so I used a relay as per the instructions.

I used the Lock Motor wire described in this post. I don't think this is what the instructions called for, as they refer to red(5-wire type) pin 6 on a 12 pin plug in the driver's kick panel. Where are folks hooking up the trigger lead for these starters?

Most things seems to be correct (such as the bypass) as the remote starter is able to start the engine.

After installing here is what's happening, the remote starter is able to start the car, however, one click of the "door lock" button on the key (not two or three) and the remote starter will start the car, the parking lights will start to flash and not stop, I can hear a relay clicking as the parking lights flash (I can see the light icon on the dash flash on/off as well). Opening the door should turn off the engine as does the factory remote start, however opening the door does not stop the engine, nor does inserting the key and turning it on/off. The only thing which stop the engine once the remote starter has started it is pressing the brake or pressing the kill button on the remote starter. Starting and stopping the car with the key normally works fine.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
#1 you have to program the remote starter to engage with 2 pulses from the door lock or unlock...i set mine for 2 pulses and i used the unlock wire not the lock wire...once the rav4 is running the factory remote will no longer work so i didnt want to have to use my key to unlock the door and i wanted my factory key to control the remote starter...
#2 im pretty sure you have something wired wrong if you hear a relay constantly clicking and the lights keep flashing...
#3 can you post a link to your instructions or a good picture of them?
you say you have a rav4 le...what country are you in...i will help you as best as i can...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
#1 you have to program the remote starter to engage with 2 pulses from the door lock or unlock...i set mine for 2 pulses and i used the unlock wire not the lock wire...once the rav4 is running the factory remote will no longer work so i didnt want to have to use my key to unlock the door and i wanted my factory key to control the remote starter...
#2 im pretty sure you have something wired wrong if you hear a relay constantly clicking and the lights keep flashing...
#3 can you post a link to your instructions or a good picture of them?
you say you have a rav4 le...what country are you in...i will help you as best as i can...
Yes, I've read that the fob won't work once the car is started, that part is as expected, but I've also read the engine should shut off when the door is opened which doesn't happen. Here are the instructions I followed,

http://www.mypushcart.com/help/T2404-RS-150-+-KOALL-4-Toyota.pdf

Along with the attached wiring list/diagram. I'm in Canada.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Here are the connections I made, aside from the bypass, which is keysense wire and PAR rx/tx wires. Annotated photos attached (the PARS connector is disconnected in the photo, it has been reconnected after the install).

Remote 6-pin harness

Red/White -> Constant 12 Volts, Large Blue Wire, Ignition Harness
Red -> Constant 12 Volts, Large Blue Wire, Ignition Harness
-> Starter #2 Relay, 40 Amp SPDT Relay 87

Pink/White -> Ignition #1, Large White Wire, Ignition Harness

Pink -> Ignition #2, Small Pink Wire, Ignition Harness

Orange -> Accessory/Heater Blower 1, Small Red Wire, Ignition Harness

Violet -> Starter #1, Large Yellow Wire, Ignition Harness
-> Starter #2 Relay, 40 Amp SPDT Relay 85

Remote 14-pin harness

White/Black -> Parking Lamp, Small White Wire, Column Light Switch (I identified this as the connector coming from the headllights/highbeams/signal arm of the steering column)

Black -> GND, Frame Bolt

Black/White -> Neutral Safety, Automatic Car, GND

Brown/Read -> Brake, Small Blue Wire, Found Here

Grey -> Hood Switch, Not Connected, Yet

Blue/White -> Lock Motor, Small Red Wire, Found Here

Blue -> Bypass

Remote 3-Pin Sat Relay Port

Green -> Starter #2 Relay, 40 Amp SPDT Relay 86

Starter #2 Relay 87 -> Starter #2, Small White Wire, Ignition Harness

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i will compare this against my install and get back to you...
Back out there today, I had assumed (and others have said) that these things are defaulted to 2 or 3 pulse start, but I went through the process of programming it for 3 pulses and wouldn't you know it, now three unlock presses triggers the remote start rather than two.

The seller (mypushcart.com) has said that this model prevents the car from shutting off when the door opens (I think it's an option) so that answers that problem.

The remaining issue is that it flashes the parking lights the entire time it's remote started, if this is a feature than this install is a success documented rather than a troubleshoot scenario.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
mine is installed much like yours with a few exceptions...
my large pink wire is connected to the large white wire
my large pink/white stripe wire is connected to little pink wire
my violet or purple wire is connected to the large yellow and the small white wire is connected to the purple/violet wire
i do not have a relay going to that little white wire at all...
i think that relay is what is causing the lights to flash on and off...that relay should not be clicking constantly...

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
your lights should flash once when the remote starter is activated and then come on and stay on steady till the time runs out and it shuts off or till you press the brake which also turns off the RS...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mine is installed much like yours with a few exceptions...
my large pink wire is connected to the large white wire
my large pink/white stripe wire is connected to little pink wire
my violet or purple wire is connected to the large yellow and the small white wire is connected to the purple/violet wire
i do not have a relay going to that little white wire at all...
i think that relay is what is causing the lights to flash on and off...that relay should not be clicking constantly...
I'll check, it does concern me that one of the inputs for that relay is a programmable output from the module, meaning it might not be programmed for that function currently. It seems the relay is optional so I may try bypassing it and just have both Starter #1(large yellow) and #2(small white) on the violet lead.

There seems to be an option about flashing, so I may try toggling that first.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
when i was wiring mine it would not start and was ticking me off lol...looking thru the diagrams i noticed a second starter wire on the rav but not a second starter wire on the remote starter...i then connected the second starter wire from the rav to the purple starter wire and it has worked perfectly ever since...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
when i was wiring mine it would not start and was ticking me off lol...looking thru the diagrams i noticed a second starter wire on the rav but not a second starter wire on the remote starter...i then connected the second starter wire from the rav to the purple starter wire and it has worked perfectly ever since...
Yeah, I've read quite a few posts where folks did the same thing without issue. I tried to go by the book and isolate the second starter -- go figure ;) I'll check the flashing option in the next few days and if that doesn't solve it I'll try removing the relay. I just used spade connectors so it's easy enough to bypass.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I've read quite a few posts where folks did the same thing without issue. I tried to go by the book and isolate the second starter -- go figure ;) I'll check the flashing option in the next few days and if that doesn't solve it I'll try removing the relay. I just used spade connectors so it's easy enough to bypass.
After a little more investigation my suspicions were correct. The green programmable output which is one of the relay inputs seems to be programmed to status(which I assume is the flashing led) however when I program it to start the remote is unable to start the engine. Anyhow, I'm going to bypass the relay for now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, the seller said the flashing is the expected behavior, which I don't believe. I think there are some issues with the tip sheet relay wiring. I've bypassed the relay and everything's fine. The programmable settings that mention flashing are,

Confirm Lights Lock/RS

And have a matrix of whether you want Lock and RS(Remote Start) set to either ON or Flash, I set it to ON for both, though I'm not sure what Confirm Lights ON for Lock means, certainly don't want lights remaining on when I lock the car. Anyhow, things all work well with the relay bypassed and these both set to ON. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, the final result is that I did have everything correct and the issue was a programming one. I am now using the relay and after programming Confirm Lights to ON/ON and the Green Wire on the Sat Port to Status the car starts and the lights do not flash. I couldn't get the car to start with the Green Wire on the Sat Port programmed to Start but I think perhaps that's a programming issue.

If there's anything one might take away from this is that your shouldn't assume that any programming takes after one try, it took multiple (three/four) attempts to program the same function before I saw the proper result -- and that threw off my troubleshooting.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
I am installing an Excalibur RS-160+ and Fortin Override All Bypass and trying to setup using instructions on this thread. I am not sure which correct wire is the one used to connect to the Blue Fortin bypass. I believe this wire from the starter to the Fortin Bypass is the problem to my connection.

I tried using the orange wire from the 14 pin harness and did not work.

I tried using the blue wire from the 3 pin Satellite Relay Port and did not work.

I am not sure which programming features are critical to change to make this work?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I used another different brand of remote starter that do not require the connection of the Key Sense wire. From my understanding and testing the keyless entry of the RAV4; this connection (grounded (-) when key is inserted) is used to defeat the Keyless Entry function. The wireless receiver for the key FOB is still active but the Body ECU will not send the lock and unlock signal to the Door lock/unlock motor. If disconnecting this wire will not impair the remote start function, then I believe you will have the keyless entry function back even when your car is remote started. A lot of RES uses this wire to disable the built in security system during Remote Start function.

The remote start that I used is the iDatastart with 2 one way remote. I could had gotten away with the basic that do not have any remote FOB but I was too concern about the remote start disabling the keyless entry function. It is a all in one unit with RS and bypass as well as long range RF remote. Start the car with 3X-Lock and also allow for takeover function. Uses CanBus ( 2 wires ), Immobilizer bypass ( 2 wires) and one for the parking light. There is the standard 6 - 7 wires to connect to the key switch.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts