Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Rav4-4 cyl with only 32,000 miles and the gas mileage has tanked significantly.. (down to about 14mpg) Engine light came on first, then I got the other lights too for a while.. vsc I think?
Otherwise running fine.. Took it to my local mechanic a while back and we tried replacing the gas cap first.. problem has progressively gotten worse so I took it back and we got Error Codes: P043E, P043F and P2401, P2402. My question is: Do you think I would need to replace the whole Carbon Canister Module or can I try just replacing the Canister Pump piece? I read through the threads about this issue and found an OEM Pump only for $139... but he seems to think we should go ahead and replace the whole canister system because of all those error codes, and because it indicates that all the valves are stuck open... which is over $900 for the part. I also read that you can get a Scion part - same thing for less.. but I think that thread I read that in it was a 2009 or 2010 car.. I know mine is same generation (3rd)

Any advice is welcome as I don't have $1,100 to spend.

·
Registered
30 Posts
When I had around 14 mpg on my 09 RAV4 with the same engine I did get a check engine light so I filled it up with shell v power since that stuff has more detergents before renting a obd scanner (my engine had 90k and I fill up the lowest price gas on it so a clogged fuel system was a probability) after I filled it up with v power my mpg came back to 23. Might not work for you since you have taken it to a mechanic who has confirmed it being a faulty charcoal canister and you only have 32k. Worth a shot I guess, best of luck.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts