Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
made a mistake of buying a used 07' RAV4 V6 without too much research. CarComplaints.com lists the 2007 RAV4 number one issue, EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION. i havent driven the SUV for a good amount of distance to see if it burned oil, although i pulled a spark plug and sure thing...spark plug was covered in oil and with a flashlight i could see the top of the piston covered with a layer of oil, VERY disappointed with Toyota's quality. i like the SUV, but the warranty has long expired for a rebuild of pistons and oil rings. anyone rebuild the engine on their own or have serious engine damage? would the dealership even consider a oil consumption test, even though the warranty has expired?

·
Super Moderator
10,220 Posts
Only the I4 engine has the oil burning issue. I've never heard of it on the V6. Mine doesn't burn a drop between 5,000-6,000 mile oil changes.

Reactions: 1 person

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
made a mistake of buying a used 07' RAV4 V6 without too much research. CarComplaints.com lists the 2007 RAV4 number one issue, EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION. i havent driven the SUV for a good amount of distance to see if it burned oil, although i pulled a spark plug and sure thing...spark plug was covered in oil and with a flashlight i could see the top of the piston covered with a layer of oil, VERY disappointed with Toyota's quality. i like the SUV, but the warranty has long expired for a rebuild of pistons and oil rings. anyone rebuild the engine on their own or have serious engine damage? would the dealership even consider a oil consumption test, even though the warranty has expired?
Selling the car would be cheaper than paying 3k+ for an engine repair plus the next buyer may not know about the burning issue like you. You can never recover from this loss and selling is easy since the car is in working condition.

As Dr Dyno mention only the 2.4 litre engine (2006-2008) had the high oil consumption problem not the 3.5 litre V6 engine. The previous owner may have neglected the oil changes.

·
Super Moderator
11,141 Posts
CarComplaints.com lists the 2007 RAV4 number one issue, EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION
Read more closely.......that is only for the 2.4l I4. There is no dealer test for the V-6 unless you pay for it.

Yours is the first complaint I've ever heard about V-6 oil consumption. What you fail to mention is how many miles on the clock? HOW MUCH consumption over 5k miles? Is the oil a major brand 5W30?

·
Registered
16 Posts
i pulled a spark plug and sure thing...spark plug was covered in oil and with a flashlight i could see the top of the piston covered with a layer of oil
I’m not a mechanic, but it sounds like your issue may be the valve cover gasket. A fairly simple job, nowhere near as involved as rebuilding the engine.

Take note of what he says at about 10 minutes, about oil on the sparkplugs:

https://youtu.be/VEbfFiJbK2o

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I’m not a mechanic, but it sounds like your issue may be the valve cover gasket. A fairly simple job, nowhere near as involved as rebuilding the engine.

Take note of what he says at about 10 minutes, about oil on the sparkplugs:

https://youtu.be/VEbfFiJbK2o
He has a V6 so not so simple as a 4 cylinder engine. The entire intake manifold needs to be removed along with other parts such as the throttle body. Probably over 4-6 hours.

This is assuming it is for both valve covers but unfortunately the rear spark plugs can not be checked that easily and the intake manifold needs to be removed.

·
Super Moderator
10,220 Posts
Maybe he actually has the dreaded V4. :confused:

·
Registered
8,593 Posts
The OP's profile is incomplete - that raises some questions. Have never heard of the V6 engine having an excessive oil consumption problem. I've spoken with owners of various Toyotas including RAV4s which have the same V6, some have more that 250,000 miles on their vehicles and have said that their engines still don't use measurable oil between routine changes.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Please verify if you have a 6 cylinder or a 4 cylinder engine. It matters.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Read more closely.......that is only for the 2.4l I4. There is no dealer test for the V-6 unless you pay for it.

Yours is the first complaint I've ever heard about V-6 oil consumption. What you fail to mention is how many miles on the clock? HOW MUCH consumption over 5k miles? Is the oil a major brand 5W30?
it currently has 108,000...i assuming it may be burning oil. havent driven it since i purchased it, but ive read that many people have been reporting this problem with the engine. there are other issues with the RAV4 along with multiple oil leaks around the engine, it may be the valve cover gasket as mentioned by another member...there is visible oil residue around the valve cover...i would like to keep this RAV4 but just too many issues, which questions engine failure...and this is my FIRST Toyota that i have ever bought, disappointing.

·
Super Moderator
10,220 Posts
it currently has 108,000...i would like to keep this RAV4 but just too many issues, which questions engine failure...and this is my FIRST Toyota that i have ever bought, disappointing.
Wanna sell this piece of cheap junk cheap?
If it reads V6 on the front grill I'm interested!

·
Registered
16 Posts
it currently has 108,000...i assuming it may be burning oil. havent driven it since i purchased it, but ive read that many people have been reporting this problem with the engine. there are other issues with the RAV4 along with multiple oil leaks around the engine, it may be the valve cover gasket as mentioned by another member...there is visible oil residue around the valve cover...i would like to keep this RAV4 but just too many issues, which questions engine failure...and this is my FIRST Toyota that i have ever bought, disappointing.
Sounds very much like the valve cover gasket. That may be the only cause of the oil leaks/consumption you’re worried about.

As for the other issues, you bought an 11 year old vehicle that has apparently suffered from “deferred maintenance” by the previous owner(s). Any brand car doesn’t do well if the owner ignores small problems as they arise. Luckily, Toyota’s are known for coping with neglect better than most. If you’re mechanically inclined, or inclined to learn, you can *usually* work through the issues one at a time and have a reliable car that will take you another 100k+ miles. The only thing that would stop me from wrenching on a Toyota is excessive rust. There’s not much you can do about serious rust issues.

·
Super Moderator
11,141 Posts
it currently has 108,000...i assuming it may be burning oil. havent driven it since i purchased it, but ive read that many people have been reporting this problem with the engine.
That's an awful lot of assumptions with no facts whatsoever. Again, it's THE FOUR CYLINDER 2.4L you've been reading about. The 3.5l V-6 is not an oil burner even with extreme mileage.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds very much like the valve cover gasket. That may be the only cause of the oil leaks/consumption you’re worried about.

As for the other issues, you bought an 11 year old vehicle that has apparently suffered from “deferred maintenance” by the previous owner(s). Any brand car doesn’t do well if the owner ignores small problems as they arise. Luckily, Toyota’s are known for coping with neglect better than most. If you’re mechanically inclined, or inclined to learn, you can *usually* work through the issues one at a time and have a reliable car that will take you another 100k+ miles. The only thing that would stop me from wrenching on a Toyota is excessive rust. There’s not much you can do about serious rust issues.
I do appreciate your advice, i would like to keep it...exterior and interior are in excellent condition, except the mechanical issues. it has an oil leak from the rear main seal, 99% sure of that. it requires a removal of the entire engine to replace, just dont know if its worth it going that far and then having other issues arise later. BTW, no rust on the RAV4...most of its life was spent in California.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Have you cleaned out the oil grime to ascertain the source of the leak? Fortunately, your v6 is not known for oil burning problem of i4, so chances are it's the valve cover seals. And if it is the valve cover seals, then oil is leaking from the top and flowing down, so maybe your suspicion of rear main seal leak is misplaced.

Regardless, you already bought the car, at least clean out the grime to find out the source of the oil leak. Worse comes worst, even if it turns out to be crank seals or some such, if the leak is tiny/small, you may still get years of service just by replenishing the oil periodically.

·
Super Moderator
11,141 Posts
it has an oil leak from the rear main seal, 99% sure of that
If it's not flowing oil but just leaking there are many additives that can slow or stop that. My stepson's Ford had 200K miles on it and a stop leak additive stopped the rear main seal leak cold. It's now approaching 300K and still running as a daily driver with no leaks. Seems to me you are fretting over very little that can be easily cured.

If you're that panicked then just sell the damn thing and start over.

Once again.......you've never driven it but believe it burns oil? There's something very wrong with your posts. I am strongly thinking this is a troll because nothing makes any sense.

·
Super Moderator
10,220 Posts
Once again.......you've never driven it but believe it burns oil? There's something very wrong with your posts. I am strongly thinking this is a troll because nothing makes any sense.
Agreed, not much connection to reality.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have you cleaned out the oil grime to ascertain the source of the leak? Fortunately, your v6 is not known for oil burning problem of i4, so chances are it's the valve cover seals. And if it is the valve cover seals, then oil is leaking from the top and flowing down, so maybe your suspicion of rear main seal leak is misplaced.

Regardless, you already bought the car, at least clean out the grime to find out the source of the oil leak. Worse comes worst, even if it turns out to be crank seals or some such, if the leak is tiny/small, you may still get years of service just by replenishing the oil periodically.
i sure hope it would be the valve cover, i will do some further inspection. if it is the valve cover, i just might consider making the repairs since it doesnt require engine removal, thanks for your input.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If it's not flowing oil but just leaking there are many additives that can slow or stop that. My stepson's Ford had 200K miles on it and a stop leak additive stopped the rear main seal leak cold. It's now approaching 300K and still running as a daily driver with no leaks. Seems to me you are fretting over very little that can be easily cured.

If you're that panicked then just sell the damn thing and start over.

i will inspect a bit further, but i just dont want to have a bigger issue on my hands that would require extensive work on the engine. i have a bad axle shaft that i need to repair first in order to drive it and see if there is any oil burning issues, i see many of the members have said that the 4cyl is prone to oil consumption not the V6. thanks for your input, i did look into the stop leak additives, just have to get the axle repaired then i can see how it does as a daily driver.

·
Registered
74 Posts
BTW, you initially noted that your spark plugs were covered with oil. Not familiar with the v6 model, but it likely has cup/funnel-shaped rubber seals to keep oil out of the plug sockets, and after 10 years, they could have hardened up and allow some oil to drip in. I expect you should be able to inspect/replace these seals when you open up the valve covers.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts