Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!! Poor college student, here!

I bought my 2007 rav4 (100,000 miles on it) about 4 months ago. Upon buying it, the car was in great working order and has been a perfect vehicle. Single owner, clean title, immaculately clean, whole nine yards. I have put about 6 thousand miles on it since buying the car. Since then, the oil has been literally disappearing. I have taken it to the dealer and there are definitely no leaks. It fits the description for the excessive oil consumption in the 2007 ravs perfectly. Upon doing my research, I have come to find that Toyota is offering the extended warranty. Only problem? I am realizing it now, and the car is past ten years old. The secondary warranty is good for 10 years or 150,000 miles, and the date of first use on the vehicle was march 16. I've missed the deadline by a month!!

After many conversations with Toyota corporate and my local dealer, I am finding that I am completely on my own on fixing this problem. The cost? $3-5 grand. The car is only worth about $6500!

So, my question is, would I be able to find an engine from a rav4 that is being parted out and have it installed? I understand that the oil issue is in 2006-2008 ravs. I obviously wouldn't want an engine out of one of these years as I may just be repeating the problem. So, if I were to find an engine from a 2009 or 2010, would the computer systems and what not be compatible?

Are there any options outside of this? Any and all guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
How much are you actually spending on oil? I'd be willing to bet you're getting several thousand mpg. Just another (practical) way to look at it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly, it is burning around 2 quarts per 1000 miles and is progressively getting worse. I'm afraid that not fixing it won't be an option.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ive had some luck in the past with honda just outside of warrenty repairs. Was on a paint defect on the car.

I basically just kept calling them back and asking for the manager. Followed with registered letters with copies of the tba. Dont be worried about getting in their face a bit... in a reasonable way.

Eventually they repainted the car. But it took a bit of work. Remember these guys are paid to say no.

30 days outside of the extended warranty... they'd be crazy not to help you.

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
Honestly, it is burning around 2 quarts per 1000 miles and is progressively getting worse. I'm afraid that not fixing it won't be an option.
Agreed, that's high oil consumption but in reality it's only one quart every other fill up. More of an annoyance that an expense. And it does save you all oil changes since it's continually being changed.

I once had a Mitsubishi Expo that burned a similar amount. I used STP or Motor Honey to help reduce the consumption until I had the chance to pull the engine and repair it.

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,107 Posts
I have used this in oil using engines in the past with some success:

Engine Restorer

You add it at every oil change. You could also try going to a higher viscosity oil such as 10W40 or 20W50 to slow the usage.

The 2009+ is a different engine, 2.5l vs 2.4l. I've no idea if the existing electronics would work with the newer engine. Even if it did the overall expense would likely exceed the value of the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I have used this in oil using engines in the past with some success:

Engine Restorer

You add it at every oil change. You could also try going to a higher viscosity oil such as 10W40 or 20W50 to slow the usage.

The 2009+ is a different engine, 2.5l vs 2.4l. I've no idea if the existing electronics would work with the newer engine. Even if it did the overall expense would likely exceed the value of the vehicle.
My first thought was to use thicker oil also. Since he's in NC, shouldn't be a temperature issue.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I followed this oil burning saga on a Camry forum, which had the same 2.4L engine as the 2006-2008 RAV. Afflicted owners tried every oil viscosity and cleaning concoction and snake oil known and had no real luck. It's a mechanical flaw with the pistons/rings. Not to say it isn't worth a try, but I think Dr D has the solution: just keep feeding it oil. Buy the cheapest dyno you can find on sale and keep a case handy. Check at every fuel up.

As far as losing future Toyota customers, sure there will be some. And at first blush the Enhanced Warranty to test and fix the oil burners seemed generous--unlimited miles, etc, then 10 years, and some did benefit and get fixed. But IMO it was poorly executed, perhaps deliberately, due to insufficient notification, and by some Dealers who didn't want to play ball and cheated the test. The whole thing came about because of a class action lawsuit brought against Toyota--and they did just enough to take the wind out of those sails with the warranty. Truly a sad era for Toyota, but the lawyers factored in the loss of customers I'm sure, and wish to move on.

I hope the OP has some success finding goodwill from a Dealer. Toyota should have plenty of the piston and rings kits left over from those that never got the word.

Reactions: ravenuer

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
According to my Owner's Manual, Toyota defines excessive oil consumption as using more that one quart for each thousand miles, so the engine obviously meets the definition. Using heavier oil will negatively affect gas mileage and the fact that oil usage is increasing indicates that the piston ring/engine bore situation is worsening. What effect that will have on engine reliability probably is unknown but does raise the question. Having to add oil increasingly frequently obviously is an added operational expense. Perhaps if a good used engine can be obtained at a reasonable price (at least one owner on this forum got a low-mileage one from Japan) that could be a solution. If electing to repair the existing engine, if the cost is at the lower figure it could be seen as worthwhile - but it is difficult to understand why there is such a wide variation in the cost estimates.

Agree that Toyota should foot a repair bill but from the original post that appears unlikely.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 2008 didn't fail the oil consumption test. The dealership I get my oil changes at will fill it up inbetween oil changes for no charge. I was told that if my Rav4 failed the test they would order the rings and pistons. It would take approximately a year to get them as Toyota as to manufacture them.

I was going to add oil myself but a funnel won't fit in the hole. there is a piece of metal blocking most of the hole. Mine is using about 1 quart 1/2 every 1,100 miles. So that means adding oil 4 times between oil changes.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,722 Posts
I was going to add oil myself but a funnel won't fit in the hole. there is a piece of metal blocking most of the hole. Mine is using about 1 quart 1/2 every 1,100 miles. So that means adding oil 4 times between oil changes.
Be careful not to bend that damper in the hole. Apparently it's so important Toyota issued a TSB about it. You can get a funnel with threads that screws into the hole just like the cap. They are available on Amazon.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
My 2008 didn't fail the oil consumption test.... I was told that if my Rav4 failed the test they would order the rings and pistons. It would take approximately a year to get them as Toyota as to manufacture them....

Mine is using about 1 quart 1/2 every 1,100 miles.....
\

I really don't understand those parts of your post. Did you have the test done and it DIDN'T fail? The car clearly fails burning that much. Also, that Dealer is full of it. The ring and piston kits are readily available in the USA anyway, according to most posts on the Camry website. Try calling a different dealer and just ask how long it would take to get the ring/piston kit.

Highly suggest you use a different dealer, and do the test while your 2008 is still covered. The clock is ticking--10 years from first date in service unlimited miles.

Reactions: CAD

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just an update here... This post had gotten buried--but the problem certainly hasn't gone away. In fact, the saga just continues.

The car now has 109,000 miles on it and is burning a quart every 600-700 miles. I have been using 10w-40 oil and adding Lucas oil stabilizer to it in hopes of slowing it down. Neither of these seem to be helping a bit.

At this point--I feel like I am just at a loss. Toyota has really been sour on this deal and it certainly makes me want to never buy another one. I am just wondering now how much life the car will have left from here.

All I figure there is to do from here is keep feeding it oil until that becomes cost prohibitive.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have an original to me 2006 with the same problem. I had it tested within ten years and the dealer (intentionally or not) didn't perform the test correctly. A year later (out of warranty), a repeat test miraculously shows failure. Of course the problem existed well before the first test and continues now.

Vehicle now has 175,000 miles and I'm putting 1 quart very 300-500 miles. It's not the end of the world. Recently I switched to full synthetic and Jiffy Lube is topping me off for free, so I'm getting my money's worth in synthetic oil, that's for sure (5 quarts in the first 2000 miles).

Your mistake was not doing a thorough search of TSBs and recalls prior to buying your vehicle. But you also didn't pay a ton for it so don't feel bad. With regular oil the vehicle should still be reliable and last quite a long time. As I said, mine has 11 years and 175,000 miles and I plan to keep it 3-4 more years. I drive 20,000 miles per year so that would take it to 235,000+ miles. I'd be happy with that. My last Camry lasted 16 years and 235,000 miles and was still plenty driveable when I sold it. Last Accord lasted 13 years and 225,000 miles. That's good usage from a vehicle.

Don't forget to do your other maintenance. There are a host of other things you should plan to do around 100,000 and 150,000 miles - spark plugs, belts, water pump, etc. Those are considered preventative. And of course air filters. The vehicle should be dependable for the most part and feeding it oil isn't the end of the world. I recently posted my experience only to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious as my consuumption had recently bumped up after switching dino oil to synthetic.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
......Vehicle now has 175,000 miles and I'm putting 1 quart very 300-500 miles. It's not the end of the world. Recently I switched to full synthetic and Jiffy Lube is topping me off for free, so I'm getting my money's worth in synthetic oil, that's for sure (5 quarts in the first 2000 miles).....
Jiffy is topping you off with synthetic, for free, because it's burning it??
How did you get them to do that?:confused:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Jiffy is topping you off with synthetic, for free, because it's burning it??
How did you get them to do that?:confused:
Jiffy Lube and most quick oil change shops will do free top offs before your next change is due. They just don't anticipate dong twenty quarts per vehicle during that time. With the synthetic my change isn't due for 7500 miles, and at 300 miles per quart... yeah, it's practically a free oil change net of the oil I'd buy anyway.

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
The car now has 109,000 miles on it and is burning a quart every 600-700 miles.
All I figure there is to do from here is keep feeding it oil until that becomes cost prohibitive.
It may be inconvenient to add a $6 quart every two or three gas fill-ups but compared to the gasoline it uses the oil cost is minimal.

·
0 Posts
the quart per 600 mile thing is phooey for us. we have been going thru a quart every couple/few hundred miles on our '06, easily. esp. in summer.

this year we switched to 20/50 in summer and that helped alot.

now back to 5/30 in winter (northeast cold), so i would anticipate the usual headache.

that said, compared to a new motor, a bunch of oil is not a big expense by any stretch. but it sure is a pain in the rear to keep remembering to add oil....

i think i just gotta get on a once a week thing to add a quart. i keep doing every month or so.

our car has 140k so far and is very well cared for. it's likely we'll just drive this thing till it stops and relegate it eventually to spare car duty. in that scenario, burning a lot of oil won't be an issue.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts