Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
You can also use an empty 1 qt bottle of oil with the bottom cut off. Usually fits the threads perfectly on a Toyota.
I use a bleach jug and it works quite well also as a screw on funnel. I can turn the handle when screwing it down.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
the quart per 600 mile thing is phooey for us. we have been going thru a quart every couple/few hundred miles on our '06, easily. esp. in summer.

this year we switched to 20/50 in summer and that helped alot.

now back to 5/30 in winter (northeast cold), so i would anticipate the usual headache.

that said, compared to a new motor, a bunch of oil is not a big expense by any stretch. but it sure is a pain in the rear to keep remembering to add oil....

i think i just gotta get on a once a week thing to add a quart. i keep doing every month or so.

our car has 140k so far and is very well cared for. it's likely we'll just drive this thing till it stops and relegate it eventually to spare car duty. in that scenario, burning a lot of oil won't be an issue.
Your car can still be traded without a heavy loss since you did not fix the engine. Not everyone knows about the high oil consumption.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
I just want people to know that I stumbled upon this by accident. I posted here before. We still have our 2006 RAV that underwent the Piston repair at around 90,000 miles. That was the good news and it was covered under warranty even better news. However we made the foolish mistake of keeping the rav and at 160,000 miles guess what the problems back again. Guess what they're not covering it. Guess what the car is now my daughter's because she puts very few miles on it and I check and add a quart of oil every 800 to 1200 mi. Guess what we now own a new Forester and a new Legacy. Guess what Toyota lost a customer over this shame on them.
That engine was poorly designed. Your testament proves a rebuilt engine is a short term solution that will return back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts